8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. This is my first attempt at changing the oil myself....ever. What a car to start on, right? Anyway, this is probably a dumb question, but where can i place the jack and jack stands to lift and hold up the car? Is there a particular spot?

The owners manual says nothing about it. The hood is open right now, any help would be spectacular. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll upload a picture of the jackstand point and the jackpoint in the front center momentarily. I just switched to Royal Purple and a hamp filter at 4200 miles 15% oil life meter and found the oil change to be much easier than it is hyped up to be. The filter is in a crap spot though. I didn't remove the passenger wheel either. I came in from behind it on my back and put a filter socket on, slid my wrench w/ a 4" extension in and loosened it just a 1/4 turn at the most. The rest i did by hand dropping the filter into a plastic bag. I reached up and careful to not crossthread the hamp filter tightened it by hand w/ a final 1/4 turn snug w/ the wrench. No lube tech is touching my Si.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Below you can see the front center jack point indicated by an arrow indented in a plastic piece directly in front of it. Also visible is a wrench hanging from the oil drain bolt to give you a sense of placement and direction. Underneath it you can see the necessary placement of the oil catch pan.

Next, is an example of a side jackstand point needed after raising your car with the jack. Make sure to engage your e-brake first and also wedge your rear wheels for added safety before jacking up your front end. This is a picture of the front right jackstand.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help, everyone. That filter was kind of a pain in the ass. I was finally able to turn it slightly with oil filter pliers from the right side of it then reached up from behind it (rear of car looking forward) with my left hand and twisted it off and into a plastic bag.

Although there were moments of frustration, I actually had some fun doing it myself. TBH, the first time I rolled under that car, I was scared shitless :eek:hnoes:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
ya, i've never changed the oil myself either, and the si is definitely not the car to start on from what i've heard, even though it's still only changing the oil. if you use conventional oil, it definitely isn't worth it to do it yourself seeing as how you can find places that will do it for $20 (this includes the oil). but if you use synthetic, then the potential to save money by doing it yourself is greater due to the fact you will save more by buying synthetic yourself than conventional, since synthetic costs more. you may save the same % wise buying conventional vs synthetic yourself, but % savings doesn't matter in this case, as your time wouldn't be worth $5, regardless of the % savings.

and you may think why not just buy the synthetic oil yourself, and then have a shop put it in. well, i tried this, but they still charged me $30, even though it included no oil. yet if i were to have them use their oil, it would be $55. only $25 for 5 quarts of synthetic from a shop? uh, no, it's more than that, meaning the labor is well under $30. what they did is said ok, you want a synthetic oil change, but brought your own oil? ok, we'll charge you for a regular oil change then, which is $30. the problem with that is a regular oil change includes oil! what they should have done is say hey, we don't normally have people bring in their own oil, so we don't have a price for this, but how does $15 labor sound?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
hondas are a dream to change oil on compared to some audis. nissans are supposed to be a pain as well, since you need some pretty damn small hands to maneuver in there. the only complaint for the Si is how hard it is to REACH the filter...

·
Read Only
0 Posts
also, the place i went to told me they're using a piece of creased cardboard so my frame doesn't get all full of oil. they told me that the oil will spill all over the frame and stay there. i'm like awesome, thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.