8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:police: :box: I have tranny grinding issues, and have done some reasearch on the topic. Seem this issue goes way back, affects not only our Si's but older ones, Acura CL, TL, TSX, Type-R, Etc. Many have switched to the GM Syncromesh, with or without FM (friction modified). After purchasing some myself, and speaking with a GM top level mechanic, he suggested also using an additional friction modifier for the LSD on our cars. Others cite that when they added an LSD to their cars (ones that doesn't come stock), some had to add this additional modifier for the LSD. Please note that the "friction modified GM Syncomesh" is only modified for gear wear, not LSD clutch packs!!! I have read many posts on this, and nearly all fail to mention the additional modifier that I feel is necessary. So I will also add the LSD modifier as recommened by GM. Any opinions/counters to this opinion? Anyone had trouble with their LSD after making the swap to GM, Amsoil, or Redline MTF?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you aware of the additional modifier? This is required for any LSD I've ever dealt with, car, truck, etc. You know, the little bottle of stuff you added to the pumpkin after pumping in the 90 weight gear lube, as a truck example. Maybe our LSD is so light duty that its not really required. But it certainly can't hurt, only help. But without it, it certainly could cause the LSD to prematurely wear. Just my take. Anyone know if the Honda MTF is exactly the same for LSD vs. non-LSD applications? If the same, why is it the same?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, let me clarify something here immediately. There are three (3), not two (2) GM products I am discussing here.

-There is unmodified GM Syncromesh GM Part # 12345349.

-There is friction-modifed GM Syncromesh GM Part # 12377916. Please note that the friction modifer refered to in the latter part IS NOT THE SAME FRICTION MODIFIER AS FOR LSD REQUIREMENTS.

-Then there is a (LSD) friction modifier to add to either of the above two fluids, GM Part # 1052358. It is called "GM limited slip axle lubricant additive".

See http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2001-01-1993 for details on what this LSD friction modifier (adder) does for the LSD clutches. These Si LSD's have clutches, right??? Someone please confirm, or is Cusco and Kaaz completely different???
"Pumpkin" refers to the rear end ring-pinion housing or "ball" that you see in or close to the middle of the rear axel (and front for 4wd) on pickup trucks and rwd cars. I was just using it as an example in my discussion, not in direct refrence to the Si of course. Just general mechanical.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think it has been concluded that any type of new transmission fluid is just a bandaid and NOT a 100% fix...

The 3rd gear is jus a flaw of the design...

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
bokeh said:
I think it has been concluded that any type of new transmission fluid is just a bandaid and NOT a 100% fix...

The 3rd gear is jus a flaw of the design...
Really, I wasn't aware of that. Who concluded that out of curiousity?

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
well i have the new tranny fluid from honda. works like a charm. yeah who concluded.

·
Registered
48 Posts
bokeh said:
Tom1222 said:
And you thought correctly ;) I have no idea what gear links are but whatever they are I would assume that they are the same in every Civic Si's transmission. If so, why do only certain Si's have this grinding issue and others don't? Perhaps the gearlinks for some were custom stretched at the factory :D
I don't know about you.. but after reading the above in one of the posts you referenced, I don't think I would take his word on crap other than he's not having the problem.. certainly not someone I would QFT..

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ok so maybe the word "concluded" wasn't the best choice...

But its definitely a possibility...

Also, there's a chance that "not everyone" has the 3rd gear problem because everyone is in different locations and have different driving styles...

The 3rd gear problem OnLY occurs for me when its cold outside.... and so if I jus let her warm up... It drives perfectly fine.... I've never changed MTF fluid...

And for those of you that have, sure it may seem like amsoil/rp worked.. But a lot of people make that conclusion waaaay to early as well... If u search, u will see that people say the problems returned...

For now, I'll wait for a real solution if its ever found... Jus warm up ur car people... And im DEFINITELY not putting any of that RP gear oil in there...

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
bokeh said:
Ok so maybe the word "concluded" wasn't the best choice...

But its definitely a possibility...

Also, there's a chance that "not everyone" has the 3rd gear problem because everyone is in different locations and have different driving styles...

The 3rd gear problem OnLY occurs for me when its cold outside.... and so if I jus let her warm up... It drives perfectly fine.... I've never changed MTF fluid...

And for those of you that have, sure it may seem like amsoil/rp worked.. But a lot of people make that conclusion waaaay to early as well... If u search, u will see that people say the problems returned...

For now, I'll wait for a real solution if its ever found... Jus warm up ur car people... And im DEFINITELY not putting any of that RP gear oil in there...
why won't you? You wouldn't even put the new honda stuff in?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts