8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the wrench and my 15% oil life indicators on. Sweet.. just as I have work and school back to back, 3 days in a row. Sorry if this has been addressed, but I could not find anything via serarching.

How long can I drive with my 'change oil' information on?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You could probably drive it for a long or until the car craps out. I recall reading a person driving until 5%. A week or two will be fine.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
Unless you go past 0 the car won't log it anyhow. but you can drive to 10% just fine... just take it easy on the car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I drove mine past 0%. The indicator then reads a negative mileage. I don't remember how far past due i went, probably 100 or 150 miles and everything was fine. I'm sure the indicator has a factor of safety built into it so it doesn't matter if you run over. Also, I lease my car so I don't really care that much.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Also, at this point the wrench will go off each time you cycle the trip computer. Eventually (maybe 5%) it stays lit.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
It is recommended in the manual to change it between the 5-15% indicator. Some people may argue that they've driven it past the indicator and "everything was just fine" but it does not change the fact that oil is your cars blood, and as such very very important to change it promptly. Changing it early does not waste much money when you consider the possible cost of damage by neglect it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree... i'd probably be more careful if i owned the car. But it will be under warranty for as long as i have it, then AHFC can do whatever they want with the car.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
keep in mind that the oil wrench light is strictly a counter, it isn't actually grading your oil for viscosity or anything like that. don't forget to reset it every time you change your oil (DIY in your owner's manual.)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
keep in mind that the oil wrench light is strictly a counter, it isn't actually grading your oil for viscosity or anything like that. don't forget to reset it every time you change your oil (DIY in your owner's manual.)
Yea, it keeps track of how much gasoline you've used.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yea, it keeps track of how much gasoline you've used.
I think it counts engine revolutions. Depending on engine load you can be using more/less gas while going the same speed/rpm, so that wouldn't really be a good indicator. Plus, mileage and engine performance is also affected by the grade of gas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts