8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did my first oil change today and the filter was a pain in the ass to take out...i couldnt take the filter out but my friends told me i can reuse it once and change it the next time .. is that true?and what would be an easy way to take the filter out it is super tight!

·
Registered
494 Posts
i did my first oil change today and the filter was a pain in the ass to take out...i couldnt take the filter out but my friends told me i can reuse it once and change it the next time .. is that true?and what would be an easy way to take the filter out it is super tight!
If you check your Owner's Manual, I believe that you will see that Honda recommends that you replace the oil filter every other oil change. Yes, no?

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Yeah I guess it's true. But for me, the first oil change I would change the oil filter because your car just finished breaking in. And a easy way would be taking out the wheel and use the tool for oil filers. But for me pliers was good enough.

·
Registered
119 Posts
One word of advice: Never underestimate the value of a good oil filter cup wrench. The task of removing the oil filter is much, much easier with one of these wrenches. HandA sells a genuine Honda filter cup wrench for ~$18 if you want to go that route. I bought one and never regret spending the money.

Did you use the Ziploc bag trick to remove the filter? If not, try placing a Ziploc bag over the filter once it is hand tight. As you unscrew the filter, oil will run down into the Ziploc bag instead of all over your hand.

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
You would only need a filter wrench if the dealer/factory overtightened the filter.
I only needed one the first time I took it off cause the dealer put like 200lbs of torque into it. (exaggeration)

Otherwise, you just need it to be dry and use sandpaper.. wrap it around th filter and twist. Easy as that. BTW, that filter wrench is OVERPRICED. You could find one at a local car shop/store for like $5 or less. I got mine for $6 something CAD.

·
Registered
119 Posts
$18 is expensive, but I tried a couple of other cup wrenches from Autozone and none of them seemed to fit well. The wrench is handy to have, even on subsequent filters after removing the 200 ft/lb filter from the factory. I like the idea of using sandpaper.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
also note that aftermarket filters may or may not have the end cap with edges for use with a filter socket. Those smooth end filters would require a universal three prong oil filter socket. with the tight fit on the 8th gen I wouldn't use a smooth cap filter.

sand paper helps and a clean surface helps

·
Registered
260 Posts
I axcess mine though the fender well. I went to Advance auto parts and bought the right size oil filter socket. I'll take a pic of it so you can see what it looks like it works great for me. Oh yeah don't feel bad mine was a pain the the rear the first time to.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Why can't honda place the oil filter in a location like some toyota, benz, and vw's. My old Golf I could change the filter without getting under the car same for my wifes Benz.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
Your best bet would be to get that filter wrench. It'll have a hole in it so you could use a rachet with it and it'll make things a lot easier. Slide far enough back so you can reach through at about a 45 degree angle. That's how I do it. I know the filter location of the Si is lousy, but I've never had much of a problem of actually getting the filter off. It's just controlling the mess that pisses me off.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I tried using a filter wrench bought at walmart and I did not have enough room to get the filter off. I ended up hammering a screwdriver through it and turning it that way. It was messy and I cut my hand, but it got the job done. Now it is on handtight, so I can get it off easily with my bare hand next time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I dont care what any manual says. I would never ever ever change my oil and not the filter. Thats just insane, you change the oil and filter together always always. When I have enough miles on mine to change the oil, its going to be Mobil 1 full synthetic oil AND filter changes every 5 thousand miles. Never one without the other. Ever.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You would only need a filter wrench if the dealer/factory overtightened the filter.
I only needed one the first time I took it off cause the dealer put like 200lbs of torque into it. (exaggeration)

Otherwise, you just need it to be dry and use sandpaper.. wrap it around th filter and twist. Easy as that. BTW, that filter wrench is OVERPRICED. You could find one at a local car shop/store for like $5 or less. I got mine for $6 something CAD.
yea im pretty sure they overtightened the filter, but i guess ill go grap a filter wrench for my next oil change ..so it would be much easier..

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I axcess mine though the fender well. I went to Advance auto parts and bought the right size oil filter socket. I'll take a pic of it so you can see what it looks like it works great for me. Oh yeah don't feel bad mine was a pain the the rear the first time to.
yeah it was pissing my off .. i was going to stab it with a screw driver , but i decided to reuse and change it the next time ..

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont care what any manual says. I would never ever ever change my oil and not the filter. Thats just insane, you change the oil and filter together always always. When I have enough miles on mine to change the oil, its going to be Mobil 1 full synthetic oil AND filter changes every 5 thousand miles. Never one without the other. Ever.
yea i never change my oil without the filter but it was freaking cold out and i was really pissed off ...but it is a one time thing so i dont think it should be bad...and i use mobil 1 full synthetic and a honda oil filter ,but i change my oil ever 3k on ever car i own...i think 5k is way to long

·
Registered
494 Posts
Changing Mobil 1 every 5,000 miles is an absolute waste of both time and money. Don't believe me? Fine, prove it to yourself. Take an oil sample at the 5,000 mile mark and send it in for analysis. Guaranteed that the results will show that it's good to go for at least twice that.

·
Registered
494 Posts
...but i change my oil ever 3k on ever car i own...i think 5k is way to long
Fortunately what you think is irrelevant. Scientific analysis has been proving for decades now that synthetic oil more than capable for extending oil changes to well beyond the recommended oil change interval (for cars that don't come with synthetic oil from the factory). For the few enlightened manufacturers that have switched to synthetic oil, most of them call for oil changes in the 10,000-15,000 mile range, and that is simply because synthetic oil is really that good.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Changing Mobil 1 every 5,000 miles is an absolute waste of both time and money. Don't believe me? Fine, prove it to yourself. Take an oil sample at the 5,000 mile mark and send it in for analysis. Guaranteed that the results will show that it's good to go for at least twice that.
Five thousand miles on MY oil is long enough and in need of a change, synthetic or not. I dont need any stupid watse of money oil analysis to tell me when its time. No way in this world would I run oil for 10,000 miles, it just isnt happening in MY car.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.