8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obama clearing way for California emissions waiver - Los Angeles Times

Obama clearing way for California emissions waiver
Joe Raedle / Getty Images
States would be able to issue stricter rules on auto emissions if the EPA grants a waiver to California. President Obama is expected to ask the agency to reconsider a Bush-era denial of the waiver.
The president will ask the EPA today to allow states to set their own, stricter rules for auto emissions, sources say.
By Ken Bensinger and Jim Tankersley
January 26, 2009
Reporting from Washington and Los Angeles -- President Obama will direct the EPA today to reconsider a Bush-era decision that stopped California and more than a dozen other states from setting their own stricter limits on auto emissions, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Should the agency allow a waiver from federal rules, states could require automakers to increase the fuel efficiency of cars and trucks far above current limits. It also would fulfill a long-held goal of environmentalists, as well as one of Obama's campaign promises.

A waiver would be another dramatic rebuke of Bush administration policies, as well as a swift statement that the new president intends to put his own stamp on environmental issues.

"This should prompt cheers from California to Maine," said Frank O'Donnell, president of Clean Air Watch, who praised Obama as "a man of his word" for the decision.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Woo Hoo!!!!!!! I guess that definitely means no turbo on my R18 now. Perhaps the Electric Civic Project will actually become a reality....

Maybe after my retrofit project first.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Not a very good decision - He just opened the door to potentially 50 varying sets of emission laws.

Sounds like I may have to travel to Texas to buy cars from now on, as I sure as hell won't want what NY or Cali will require.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
OK. So what are the direct effects on us? I read the article, but didnt really see anything specific as to what this means. Are they just trying to push the standard that is supposed to be meet in 2020 sooner?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
People should stop jumping to conclusions.

Sounds like this is only a protection for states like Cali where they have a higher emission standard already. California has been brought to court on the issue that it's higher emission standards is going beyond the limits of a states power. I could be wrong but I thought you could still buy guzzling sports cars or SUV's in California so I don't see why people are so heated.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Oh no.

That means even Honda will need better MPG's. You know what that means? More electrical computer crap that is going to give us a harder time...Like another drive by wire type deal...Ughh.....

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
If this goes through, It will hurt all auto makers because there is no way they could build cars reliable enough, cheap enough, clean enough, and desirable enough in the amount of time.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
conspiracy if you ask me...cars causing global warming...the government manipulates the people so much...i cant even begin cause i would hate to know the crap they know and do because they are making our world worse...i am all for the environment but they need to look at different sources of pollution...global warming is also natural and that is not our problem...our problem is that our world is polluted by plastic stuff and other things that dont decompose and stuff that gives us cancer...i love my freedoms in this country (even though im 16 and technically dont really have any) but i know that the government is screwing us over while they live happily and however they want cause they make the laws and have enough money to do anything...im not saying Obama is bad (cause he hasnt done anything yet) but the whole system is corrupt...i hope things turn out differently and that our world is better but it is hard to believe when you dont know what to believe...one day there will be anarchy

on the direct topic of this emission stuff...i dont think it is necessary...too many people in a bad place like LA will always have bad smog pollution w/e...factories and other industrial stuff (that isnt environmentally conscience) cause most of the pollution IMO

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Stupid bleeding heart liberal democrats :rantsmiley::banghead::Mad:
The liberals and the president should get rid of their private jets and chevy tahoes,suburbans,Al Whore (Gore) should get rid of his house and private jet too. How dare the government and president tell states how to regulate emissions. The government needs to mind it's own business. Damn liberals,it's their "do as i say not as i do" hypocracy,damn morons. Bleeding heart communists. There is no global warming that **** is made up by Al Gore and far left radical environmentalist groups. What about punishing India,China and Pakistan? they pollute way more than America does. In California you can't even get your tax return money back because the state is so broke,thank the liberals for that,liberals try to manipulate people and make peoples lives miserable not to mention they destroy their own states too.

·
Registered
670 Posts
i love my freedoms in this country (even though im 16 and technically dont really have any)
Wow. I find that most 16 year olds usually carry a "I'm a young adult so I should get adult rights without the adult responsibility". Thumbs up to you. :clapping:

Back on topic...

Contrary to most liberals I came in contact with over the past 8 years, I vowed to not ***** and moan; to give Obama a chance. Well, this move didn't help that cause very much. It's been a week and already I'm starting to get tired of the partisan politics.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
This is bad. It will allow California to be even stricter on their emissions laws AND allow other states to adopt California emissions laws if they want, or make their own stricter laws.

All it will succeed in doing is giving automakers an even harder time, and there will be a lot of cars not sold in california and any other state adopting the emissions laws...

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Stupid greedy Republicans, all you care is about Jesus and your pockets. You ruined the country in the past 8 years and don't take any responsibility for your actions. Moreover, you blame everyone else but yourself. What an arrogant bunch of pricks. I hope you burn in hell and Jesus doesn't fix your A/C.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Stupid bleeding heart liberal democrats :rantsmiley::banghead::Mad:
The liberals and the president should get rid of their private jets and chevy tahoes,suburbans,Al Whore (Gore) should get rid of his house and private jet too.

Damn liberals,it's their "do as i say not as i do" hypocracy,damn morons. Bleeding heart communists.
Stupid greedy Republicans, all you care is about Jesus and your pockets. You ruined the country in the past 8 years and don't take any responsibility for your actions.
i love this thread
What are you talking about akron, where's the love here? :shady:

Here, here's some additional love for this thread :bighug:

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Stupid greedy Republicans, all you care is about Jesus and your pockets. You ruined the country in the past 8 years and don't take any responsibility for your actions. Moreover, you blame everyone else but yourself. What an arrogant bunch of pricks. I hope you burn in hell and Jesus doesn't fix your A/C.
Blame Bush,you can't blame the republicans as a whole because they weren't the majority in the congress from 2006 on! blame the stupid big government liberals trying to push these regulations down peoples throats. The people that voted for Obama your all in for a rude awakening,next he'll tell you to sell your house and car either that or he'll force you to. Obama=New Jimmy Carter,face it liberals. Damn hippie liberals,they should of never passed CAFE standards,the government has no business getting involved in the free market system,and telling states how to regulate emissions. Let the market and people decide on what they want to buy instead of the government forcing people. Why don't we drill our own fuels here in America and more nuclear power plants?! wind power is a bunch of bullshit you need thousands of them in a windy area for them to even work. Environmentalists hippie liberals piss me off. While people are losing their jobs the ******* congress gives theirselves a raise!! WTF!! expect more people to lose their jobs and you can't blame that on Bush. You have to be an absolute moron to give out all your hard earned money to the government for pork projects,and social programs,and you have to be a real idiot if you love bigger government telling you how to run your life instead of you making your own decisions.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Democrats controlled congress? This idiot vetoed every bill they had passed. Just in spite. More oil and nuclear power? F U, I want to breathe clean air, my children too. Government should mind it's business and don't try to regulate? Were you awake during the mortgage meltdown and financial crash. Do you know why Cali is out of money, so are the other states, besides unemployment and property taxes? Taxes work both way, states collect it into the pool and distribute to localities and federal govt. Treasury sends a bunch back which contributes to the state's budget. Since Treasury is broke now, states get nothing. You know why feds are broke? Unnecessary war rings a bell? Did it cost 1 trillion or 2 trillions to date, I am sorry, I lost count.

I still can't believe people say Democrats are big spenders, when Republicans wasted a few trillion dollars over 8 years. At least Dems spend it on education and health care, things that Republicans think people should afford themselves somehow. My daddy isn't the oil man, he worked all his life, and so do I. I pay taxes and I think a deserve the basics like college education, health care and daycare to be provided for free, like other countries.

I think you missed the point about this whole emissions business. Obama is doing the opposite of regulating. In theory he wants the states to set their own standards. So you fail on your argument.

Oh btw, fed is broke? More tax cuts!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.