8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased a used set of SSR type C's (17x7.5 45 offset) for my Si. I was wondering if I need to purchase some Centering Rings for them? I am not exactly familiar with what Centering Rings do...but I suspect they center the rim on the car a little better than just using the Lugs. I know they are not very expensive (about $20 for 4 at the Tirerack)...but am not sure if they are common place in stock at my local tire store?

Any thoughts or suggestions are very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Colebob

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I am not sure if you need then,but the rings help center the wheel better on the hub. The center hole on the wheel should fit really well on the hub. I it is REALLY loss on the hub then that is when you need the rings. They help with the ballance of the tire and wheel. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Essentially all aftermarket rims require centering rings due to the fact that the size of the hubs they must fit over changes from vehicle to vehicle. OEM wheels need only fit one application, and as such are just machined the appropriate diameter. Aftermarket wheels are machined to a larger size, which is reduced to the diameter of the hub via the centering ring (proper name: hub-centric ring). Without using a ring the position of the wheel relative to the hub is established only by the lugs, and modern wheels and lugs aren't designed to accomplish this with the degree of accuracy required, and neglecting to use a ring will compromise both safety and the smoothness of the car's ride.

Aftermarket wheels vary in their bore size, with 73mm being common. But you need find out what size your wheels use, as it could be different. The Civic has a 64mm hub, and the centering rings are machined to 64.1mm to allow enough clearence for them to slide over the hub. Unless your wheels happen to use a 64.1mm bore, you need to obtain the appropriate rings to reduce their bore size to the required 64.1mm.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
They do not affect the balance of the tire and wheel assembly. The assembly must both be balanced and run true in order to ride properly, and without the spacer it will not run true as it won't be precisely centered on the hub.
What I was saying is that with out the rings the front end of the car could shack like the tires are not balanced right,maybe I did not say it how I meant to say it. LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you...very good info and much appreciated. The wheels come today so I should be able to get the measurement of them. I called the Tirerack and they "think" the SSR's are 79.5 and they confirmed (like you guys here too) that our Civic Si hub is 64.1.

I called a few local tire shops to see if they stock them...and response so far is "not really...we carry a few...but have to order most of them."

Good news again though is they really don't cost much at all.

Thanks again for all the help!

Colebob

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
rule of thumb polys are around $20 and alum are about $40, either work fine, really no benefits from the alum, and i have never heard of them wearing when proper fitment, not saying that they cant wear just have never had any probs with them on any of my wheels on any of my cars.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Thank you...very good info and much appreciated. The wheels come today so I should be able to get the measurement of them. I called the Tirerack and they "think" the SSR's are 79.5 and they confirmed (like you guys here too) that our Civic Si hub is 64.1.

I called a few local tire shops to see if they stock them...and response so far is "not really...we carry a few...but have to order most of them."

Good news again though is they really don't cost much at all.

Thanks again for all the help!

Colebob
Try calling Evasive Motorsports. I just picked up a set from there and was pleased with the price and delivery time. They also seem to know there stuff about what size is called for on different wheels where the guy I talked to at Tirerack didn't seem to know. I think I talked to Dennis at Evasive and he made it sound like they have boxes of different sizes so they should have what you need.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Essentially all aftermarket rims require centering rings due to the fact that the size of the hubs they must fit over changes from vehicle to vehicle. OEM wheels need only fit one application, and as such are just machined the appropriate diameter. Aftermarket wheels are machined to a larger size, which is reduced to the diameter of the hub via the centering ring (proper name: hub-centric ring). Without using a ring the position of the wheel relative to the hub is established only by the lugs, and modern wheels and lugs aren't designed to accomplish this with the degree of accuracy required, and neglecting to use a ring will compromise both safety and the smoothness of the car's ride.

Aftermarket wheels vary in their bore size, with 73mm being common. But you need find out what size your wheels use, as it could be different. The Civic has a 64mm hub, and the centering rings are machined to 64.1mm to allow enough clearence for them to slide over the hub. Unless your wheels happen to use a 64.1mm bore, you need to obtain the appropriate rings to reduce their bore size to the required 64.1mm.
Very informative and helpful. Thank you!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.