8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had the s/c for about a month and a half. i have a cel that comes on every once in a while(about 500 miles) and it always gives the same code: P0172(too rich bank one). I just got my car dynoed to confirm this too rich problem and to my surprise the tech said my car is way too lean! The read out he gave was 15.1 (from a pipe sniffer. I do not have a wideband). I was speechless cause I thought I was rich not to mention if i was that lean my car should have blew up by now!!!

I did the install myself
no pending problems
no parts left over
FPR moddified and FP is correct
reflash is working like it should

All fingers point to a bad o2 sensor for the cel but what can I do about the too lean issue. One could say that being that I had the cel the ECU could have been trying to offset and that was/is why I am lean.

Please help! This is the only issue that I have. The car runs good and has an @$$ of power but I can't stand that CEL and the thought of being to lean on a boosted car.

If anyone needs to know, my mods are:

Engine:
a. ComptechUSA stage 1 supercharger
b. HONDATA ECU re-flash/intake manifold spacer(1/4)
c. Injen RD Cold Air Intake w/MR technology
d. DC Sports 4-2-1 race Header w/non-foulers
e. Skunk2 70MM Mega power Header back Exhaust
f. Throttle body bypass kit/spacer(1/4)
g. HAMP high pressure oil filter
h. Royal Purple oil, fluid, and coolant additive
i. GREDDY 9MM oil catch tank
j. P2R liquid filled fuel pressure gauge

Drivetrain/Transmission:
a. CorSportUSA aluminum shifter cable/base bushings
b. Comptech short shifter
c. Skunk2 counter weighted **** knob

·
Registered
480 Posts
I found this info after doing a search.

A code P0172 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters (K&N, etc.) can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled
* There could be a vacuum leak.
* There could be a fuel pressure or delivery problem

Possible Solutions

Possible solutions include:

* Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
* Clean the MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
* Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches
* Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail
* Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced.
* Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor (this is unlikely to cause the problem, but it is possible)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hyperluv said:
I found this info after doing a search.

A code P0172 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters (K&N, etc.) can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled
* There could be a vacuum leak.
* There could be a fuel pressure or delivery problem

Possible Solutions

Possible solutions include:

* Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
* Clean the MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
* Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches
* Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail
* Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced.
* Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor (this is unlikely to cause the problem, but it is possible)
So far I have check everything but MAF so I will check that. All my hoses are brand new but I will check them too. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
28,322 Posts
It's probably the Injen CAI causing issues with the MAF. That's one of the reasons why I haven't bought a CAI for my FA5.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I tried the hoses and cleaned the MAF. Also relocated the ground wire just for the hell of it. Someone else mention that but fdid not post on here. I will keep running it for the next couple of days to see if I can throw a code. I have never been more than 500 miles before it would come on so I will use that as a guide.

I never had any issues with anything until I bolted on the blower so it has to be something I just did.

I know it is something simple cause there a copuple people on here with the same setup and no issues so it has to be something I did during install.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
radiocontrolhead said:
You're supercharged, go figure!

Why not install a fouler?
I did

d. DC Sports 4-2-1 race Header w/non-foulers

I even had non-foulers on when I was N/A. This just occured when I installed the blower.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
02civicsi said:
It's probably the Injen CAI causing issues with the MAF. That's one of the reasons why I haven't bought a CAI for my FA5.
No problems b4. Why now after the blower would I experience these issues?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
maybe while messing with your fp, you were extra rich at some point and it fouled the o2 sensor out? you should take it out and spray it down with some carb cleaner and see if that helps.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
i figure since your de-fouler was working properly before the S/C and you didnt have a CEL, then i would think that the added fuel/exhaust from the S/C is now causing to much flow to the secondary 02 sensor, maybe try a different de-fouler setup.

almost 5000 miles with the comptech S/C here with no issues, But i dont have a DC race header so i figure that is the problem

Doesnt anyone make a good 02 simulator for our cars so we dont have to worry about this dumb 02 sensor issue. This is the only reason i dont have a DCRH

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
^good point. i have a thread going over all the issues i had with different defouler setups until i found the absolute perfect one. OP- you should check it out.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I could be way off here (never done any tuning stuff on OBDII) but I thought the secondary O2 sensor was just to detect the cat and did MINIMAL if any fuel adjustments...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
^it doesnt adjust fuel, but it reads if the system is too rich or lean in the cat. its hard to say, but i'm pretty sure it might be his primary o2 since the code is a 0720. the ones for the secondary reading lean or rich are in the 2000's. and when you scan it says "bank1 sens.2". i think this has nothing to do with the secondary now.
-i say pull out the primary and observe it for alot of black soot to actually see if it is reading correctly. then go from there.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
i thought xfactorx has a dyno proving that the injen intake will make your car run lean...and your supercharger is probably just multiplying the bad effects that teh intake is causing. try the OEM airbox.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts