8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the thing. On friday last week, I installed my pulley's. Then I noticed a difference in my A/F guage. It's reading kinda on the "RICH" side. and when I started my car today, it started the whole "popping" sound (similar to a small backfire) in my exhaust. it just started today. I just started throwing a Check Engine Light tonite, and I don't know why.

It didn't run "RICH" until I put my ETD back on. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with that, but I'm about to take the battery off, and take the ETD off and see it that helps in a few.

Here's my Mods:
AEM CAI
Apexi N1 exhaust
Spark plugs by Pulsestar
NST Pulleys
Ingalls TQ Dampner
Royal Purple Oil
Amsoil of course

I was thinking of installing the BCRH and hoping that it would go down, but before I take my car to Honda, I need to know what's going on. Any ideas?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
That CEL should be throwing a code. Use scanner and let us know.

Pulleys can't be the problem. I have them and I don't have any issues with them from more than 6 months

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ummmm...... scanner? who's got a scanner besides Honda? I've schedule'd my appointment for Thursday, but I'm kinda wondering what kinda CEL it's throwing........ Didn't start until I did my pulley's and put the ETD back on.....

Coincidence? :popcorn:

·
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre
6,296 Posts
autozone has a scanner and scans for free
exactly what I was going to say. Autozone DOES check for free, I knew this back from when i had an S-10 (that thing was a PIECE and was always throwing CELs), but I recently had to get a CEL checked on my FG2. I went down to autozone, and they still check CELs for free.

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
I can think of no way it could be the ETD. It does nothing to the engine functions at all. I would vote bad plugs/bad plug gap...based on those mods...

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was also wondering about the pulsestars, but I know nothing about them...
Had em for about 4 months. No previous problems.

exactly what I was going to say. Autozone DOES check for free, I knew this back from when i had an S-10 (that thing was a PIECE and was always throwing CELs), but I recently had to get a CEL checked on my FG2. I went down to autozone, and they still check CELs for free.
Definately gonna check into that this morning then.

I can think of no way it could be the ETD. It does nothing to the engine functions at all. I would vote bad plugs/bad plug gap...based on those mods...
I'm gonna have my stock plugs replace back into the FG this morning too, but do you know of anyone who can do it besides takin it to Honda and paying an arm and a leg for it? I don't wanna mess up the gap or anything.

I also forgot to add, I had this dream last night. I was in my dream looking at my car and a "Vaccum Pressure" light came on on my dash. I woke up and thought about it, and thought maybe when they did my pulley's they accidentally loosened the Vaccum Pressure line that's aftermarket and ran down somewhere on that side of the motor and into my Vaccum Pressure guage. If so, I figure that it might be throwing a CEL bc the car's not thinking it's getting enough air, and throwing more fuel into the motor, but then again, if it's thinking it's getting less air than usual, it should be running LEAN instead of RICH right?

·
Registered
465 Posts
vaccum could cause it, but I just changed my fouled out plugs, (denso ik22's) to the Bosch platinum +4's and I get a lot more popping from my exhaust now too. Anybodys guess until you get that code read. If it says misfire, its probably the plugs.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet, thanks. I just got into work, and I brought my plugs with me. Is there a DIY for changing spark plugs? I've searched, but to no avail.

Also, now it's throwing the VSA check light now!!

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got back from Autozone. Had the codes read. They were P0300, P0302, P0304. Cylinder 2 and 4 were misfiring. I had the stock plugs replaced and took the Pulsestar's out and now it's running GREAT!!! I was so pissed!!! damn pulsestar!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts