8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i've owned my 06 SI Coupe the check engine light has come on twice, only staying on for a full day or so afterwards. Today it happened again and I finally noticed a pattern here...

It goes on only when I'm driving home from work in heavy rain. The performance, idle, behavior, etc is 100% perfect, no issues for driveability, just annoying. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I haven't been able to get the CEL code run because it doesn't stay on long enough.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
try to reinstall your shortram intake again, that the only think i can think of causing the cell. make sure ther are no air leaks or anything like that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Humidity from the rain getting past your filter and collecting dew on the MAF sensor, then dries off after awhile and cell goes away.
Or
Exhaust opening up before the O2 sensor/sensors when water hits the exhaust and giving the sensor/sensors a lower reading than the normal range. Then exhaust seals back up at optimal temps and give the sensor/sensors proper readings.

Just a daily thought.

Hook up an OBDII code reader to it and read the stored codes and let us know.

·
Registered
329 Posts
bioevolve said:
<snip!>

Hook up an OBDII code reader to it and read the stored codes and let us know.
Yep, just cruise by Autozone, Schucks, whatever and borrow their ODBII reader for free. Takes 2 minutes, and will give us more info :thumb:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My CEL came on AGAIN during the rain, while i was fueling up so I decided to get the code read once and for all....turns out the code is

"System running too rich (bank 1)"

Possibly when it rains and is humid my MAF is messing up?? The car feels 100% normal, no loss of power or whatnot...anyone else have any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
nalinc23 said:
My CEL came on AGAIN during the rain, while i was fueling up so I decided to get the code read once and for all....turns out the code is

"System running too rich (bank 1)"

Possibly when it rains and is humid my MAF is messing up?? The car feels 100% normal, no loss of power or whatnot...anyone else have any ideas what this could be?
its possible like another poster said, the humidity could gather on the MAF and cause it to throw a CEL... same thing would happen if your filter was over oiled

if its not a MAF sensor problem (which idk, because the scanner would have read the code as a MAF problem) i assume its something with your 02 sensor in which your dealer would probably have to fix or diagnose... but then you might get crap for having the intake...but its not necessarily the intake that caused the light

·
Registered
970 Posts
Any other codes together with P0172?
Look for codes associated with MAF, Primary and/or secondary A/F sensor, VTEC system, EGR and EVAP.

No?
Check fuel pressure too high.
No?
Check for vacuum leaks, particularly check:
PCV valve, PCV hose, EVAP purge valve, Throttle Body, Intake Manifold, Brake booster and hose, AIR INTAKE DUCT
OK?
Check 4,500 RPM warm MAF sensor reading.
Between 14-20 gm/sec? Check engine valve clearance, if OK, replace injectors.
Outside 14-20 gm/sec? REPLACE MAF sensor/IAT sensor.

-mr. bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts