8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this has already been posted, searched through a few threads and did not find a conclusive answer.

I have been running an Invidia Racing header along with the Q300 catback on my 2010 CSX Type S for 4 years now and was looking to see if it is possible to get a catalytic converter / HFC to work with this setup and what my options would be.

This setup has greatly improved the performance but my only peeve is the potent gas / exhaust smell. You do not smell it all the time but you do notice its there, more so on some days. I had the header and exhaust checked out for leaks and was told everything is setup correctly, this is just what is expected with no cat.

The smell is getting to me now so hoping to see if there a cat / HFC solution for this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have the same Invidia header and catback setup and was researching one to buy. Here is the link to the one I think I am getting:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-59928/overview/

This one is the right size and specs. 70mm or 2 3/4in inlet and outlet, slip fit, 11inches long.

I am going to cut the straight section of pipe on the catback exhaust, with a chop saw, insert this cat and clamp it. Done!

Check out the videos on summits website for an education on exhaust systems and how the piping connects and how things are sized.

The only thing I am questioning about this cat is the ODBII thing. I believe ODBII compliant means there is an O2 sensor after the cat, for ECU reporting a problem with a CEL if something went wrong with the cat, which is not going to happen if I install it the way I want and there is no cat now and I am not getting a CEL so... It should pass smog tests with or without one I believe so I guess ODBII does not matter, plus it will pass the visual when looking for a cat just not a downstream O2 sensor.

Do you have an intake and what calibration are you using for FlashPro?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Hybrid Racing CAI. For flash pro I had the shop tune / calibrate it for me when I got the catback, headers, intake put in.

When are you planning on installing this MagnaFlow HFC?

I would keeps things catless but the smell is really getting to me. I do not want to have to keep my vents on recirculate all the time.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Not sure when I am installing the cat. I have until August, but probably in the spring when the weather is better.

I know what you mean, the smell is bad.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just spoke to the shop where I had my header catback installed. They do SS welding and said they can weld in a Vibrant Round Metal Core Catalytic Converter onto the exhaust intermediate pipe.

I think I may go this route.

Are the Vibrant and Magnaflow HFCs pretty much the same in terms of quality performance etc?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, makes sense, cheaper too

I’m always concerned with passing smog in SoCal and having the ability to easily bolt in an HFC is a plus

·
Registered
15 Posts
old thread but any finite answers on this? Just moved to Cali and never even thought about all these absurd CARB compliance things since it's pretty much non-existent in NYC. Not a fan of all this smog nonsense. Luckily my FA5 is still registered in NY... but just thinking ahead. I eventually want to get headers and possibly SC but this CARB thing is really slimming my options

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey sorry for the late update.

I had my Magnaflow HFC installed successfully and it has been broken in for past few months.

The horrible potent gas / exhaust smell is now GONE!

·
Registered
11 Posts

I had my Magnaflow HFC installed successfully and it has been broken in for past few months.

So you literally just cut out a section of straight pipe, and clamped on the Magnaflow HFC?

I currently have an Skunk2 Alpha header with Nvidia Q300 exhaust. It sounds and performs great, but I'm completely over the smell. I don't want to cut up the Alpha header, so I was thinking maybe get a Berk HFC mid-pipe section and use the OEM shorty header?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

So you literally just cut out a section of straight pipe, and clamped on the Magnaflow HFC?

I currently have an Skunk2 Alpha header with Nvidia Q300 exhaust. It sounds and performs great, but I'm completely over the smell. I don't want to cut up the Alpha header, so I was thinking maybe get a Berk HFC mid-pipe section and use the OEM shorty header?
The shop cut the front part of the nvidia catback front pipe and welded in the HFC with a new flange. I have the original piece that was cut out so it can be put back together if need be. I will try to post a pic of it or can email it to you if you want to see.

The magnaflow HFC made huge difference with the smell. I am glad it's there now.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The shop cut part of the rear or the header where the flange is and the mid pipe and welded in the HFC. I was hoping to just get it welded to the mid pipe and retain the flange but they said there was not enough room there. So the header, HFC, mid pipe is welded together. I have the original peice that was cut out so it can be put back together if need be. I will try to post a pic of it or can email it to you if you want to see.

The magnaflow HFC made huge difference with the smell. I am glad it's there now.
I would like to see a pic of this. It's hard to visualize what they did. I'm here in Cali, and I don't want the foul smell of the fumes if I changed out the stock cat with a header. Wife wouldn't like, and I know I wouldn't like it. I was thinking about getting a shorty header and berk test pipe. Then just install the stock cat pipe back when it's time for smog. Could that work??

·
Registered
317 Posts
You can order a K-Tuned header with a cat installed
Yeah I thought about that. But brand new, they are over $500. Alternatively, I could install the Berk test pipe for only $350, and it would be a whole lot easier to switch out the stock cat and Berk pipe instead of a header in order to appease the Smog gods... 😑

And then I would need a retune regardless of which path I go. And that’s at least $300 for an etune or $600 for a dyno. You gotta pay if you want to play.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My area has zero emission testing so luckily I don't have to worry about that stuff...

Would a Berk cat not be able to pass the smog testing??

·
Registered
317 Posts
My area has zero emission testing so luckily I don't have to worry about that stuff...

Would a Berk cat not be able to pass the smog testing??
One user who lives in CA on YouTube states that he passes SMOG with the Berk test pipe (with HFC) on, and stock intake hose (or any CARB compliant intake), and he flashes it back to stock prior to test.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would like to see a pic of this. It's hard to visualize what they did. I'm here in Cali, and I don't want the foul smell of the fumes if I changed out the stock cat with a header. Wife wouldn't like, and I know I wouldn't like it. I was thinking about getting a shorty header and berk test pipe. Then just install the stock cat pipe back when it's time for smog. Could that work??
I will try to post a pic of my setup soon. I should have the car up this week to do some work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts