8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oil thread for oil heads:

If you happened to catch the Superbowl ad for Castrol's new "Edge" product, you saw this before I did. I happened across the the new "Edge" product while I Walmart yesterday picking up some gear oil.

Lots of traffic going on with speculation on the composition of this oil over at BITOG:

Castrol EDGE 8 X better Wear Protection than Mobil - Bob Is The Oil Guy

I'll be very interested to see the as the first UOAs and VOAs become available.

From a few other oil threads, some may know I recently switched from M1 Ext Performance to Penz Platinum due to high 'fe' (Iron) numbers in my UOAs (and some commentary by Terry Dyson). I've been a long-time users of M1 products, but something lately has been 'off' (timing in line exactly with their PAO plant damage by hurricane). I get UOA's done, so this is based on fact, not supposition.

Depending on what I see come back on BITOG for some UOAs I might look at using this in the new Ridgeline. I'd like to go to an extended OCI with that truck.

Up for discussion. (This is not a 'I use XXX oil' thread. Nor is it about bashing M1/XOM...just for discussion on Castrol's 'new' High Performance oil).

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Bringing this thread back!

They say it is 8x better than Mobil 1 Synth, anyone using this stuff yet?
I'm running Mobil 1 currently and thinking of trying it next oil change.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
it looks interesting. . . but I dont forsee this steering me away from my precious Motul, Ive used Syntec and M1 and neither of them stack up

·
Registered
520 Posts
first valvoline 4x better then m1 now this 8x better then m1 whats next?

I would just like to say that m1 is still a good oil but way over priced.

I switched from m1 and now am rockin Pennzoil platinum!
Best oil for the price out there. Nuff said

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
around here M1 costs about as much as the other guys, paying by the quart. . . with M1 you can buy at Walmart by the 5Q bottle, it equates out to $5-ish a Qt, which is cheaper than the others, but even at full price all these oils are dirt cheap compared to what im paying :( . . . but its worth every penny

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Oil companies keep on bringing Mobil 1 to compare their products. That itself suggests that Mobil 1 is actually the best.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
its because its the only recommended oil for all GM high performance engines
not to mention

More Makes and Models
In addition to being in all Porsche engines, Mobil 1 is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

Acura RDX

Aston Martin DB9 and DBS
All Bentley Vehicles
Bristol Fighter and Bristol Fighter S

All Cadillac Vehicles
Chevrolet Cobalt SS S/C Coupe

Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06

Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS

Chrysler 300C SRT-8

Dodge Charger SRT-8 and Viper
All Holden HSV
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8

Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles

Mercedes SLR McLaren

Mitsubishi Evolution and Lancer Evolution FQ400
Nissan GT-R
Opel GT

Pontiac Solstice GXP
Saab 9-3 TTId

Saturn Sky Red Line

Vauxhall VXR8

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
they bring it to the table as a comparison block because they know theyre popular and widely used, not so much that its the best, as far as im concerned there are plenty that are better than M1, but if they start making claims on those names people will start to wonder who the hell theyre talking about

·
Registered
700 Posts
i put EDGE in my car yesterday. the first thing i noticed was how quite it idles. then when i drove it i noticed how much smoother it is.

i was running Castrol Syntec. it was quite and smoother than the factory oil.

if EDGE doesnt break down when i change my oil next then it will be my perminate choice.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts