8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Castrol Syntec 0W30 "Made in Germany" all summer in my SI, its an excellent oil. Since it conforms to the BMW LL-01 standard (BMW M3), its actually is a true synthetic and not cracked hydrocarbon like the made in US Syntec and Mobil 1 5w30, At 100C its almost a 40 weight oil which provides better protection than the Mobil 1 5w30. Its also got a HT/HS of 3.6 verses 3.2 for Mobil 1 5w30. I think its a better oil to use for the SI.

Lets hear your comments/suggestions.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've been hesitant using it in my Si...had bad luck with it in a Toy 4X4 but cannot attribute it to the oil and may have been something else that was creating consumption issues. Never figured it out. My son uses it in his LANCER. He's getting great results but I tend to like "thinner" oils. BUT...the "0W" part of this oil might outway the "38ishness" if you get my drift. I just don't know and glad to see someone is trying it out.
Keep us informed or how it does in the Si and if you get a UOA done, share the results PLEASE!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have been using Castrol Syntec 0W30 "Made in Germany" all summer in my SI, its an excellent oil. Since it conforms to the BMW LL-01 standard (BMW M3), its actually is a true synthetic and not cracked hydrocarbon like the made in US Syntec and Mobil 1 5w30, At 100C its almost a 40 weight oil which provides better protection than the Mobil 1 5w30. Its also got a HT/HS of 3.6 verses 3.2 for Mobil 1 5w30. I think its a better oil to use for the SI.
GC is a very good oil by all accounts. However, keep in mind that properly formulated Group III oils can do just as well as Group IV PAOs, with negligible differences in performance. Also, you can't judge protection solely on viscosity at 100C. I subscribe to the school of thought where thinner = better. Remember, viscosity does not equal lubrication. Flow = lubrication. Thinner oils flow with less resistance.

Also, it was made clear to me recently that Mobil 1 is mostly PAO anyhow.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Where do you buy this stuff at? I've been looking for it at walmart and several auto stores but can't find it so i just bought some penzoil platinum... seems to have better uoa's that mobil 1.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can still find the stuff? Autozone around here used to carry it, but they don't anymore... I know my local wally world doesn't have it.

I run this in my wife's 330i... I'd love to find some more of this stuff.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
have any of you guys been to the oil form? they said mobil 1 is not all that great as everyone think it is. i mean by like being the best oil. it just the name that it been around for so long. for example amsoil has better oil and it doesn't even sale as much as mobil 1. do your search and see what you can come up.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have been using Castrol Syntec 0W30 "Made in Germany" all summer in my SI, its an excellent oil.
Good oil for winter time too.

Since it conforms to the BMW LL-01 standard (BMW M3)...
Actually no, the BMW LL-01 oil spec is for non-M cars. The "M" cars use 10W-60 from Castrol. http://www.bmwz8.us/pdf/zz-Engine_Oil_Specs.pdf

...its actually is a true synthetic and not cracked hydrocarbon like the made in US Syntec and Mobil 1 5w30...
Ummm, no, Mobil 1 5W-30 is a full Group IV PAO based oil.

At 100C its almost a 40 weight oil which provides better protection than the Mobil 1 5w30. Its also got a HT/HS of 3.6 verses 3.2 for Mobil 1 5w30. I think its a better oil to use for the SI.

Lets hear your comments/suggestions.
If I had an Si, the only two oils that I'd use would be the GC 0W-30 or the Mobil 1 0W-30 (not necessarily in that order). Said another way, just keep doing what you're doing. ;)

·
Registered
494 Posts
are you sure about Mobil 1 being 100% group 4 PAO?
Yes. There was a bunch of noise last year about Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 (not the same product as Mobil 1 5W-30 by the way) being a Group III, however, that has since been proven to be false. To the best of my knowledge, there have never been any credible allegations that any flavor of Mobil 1 was anything other than a full PAO based oil.

·
Registered
308 Posts
have any of you guys been to the oil form? they said mobil 1 is not all that great as everyone think it is. i mean by like being the best oil. it just the name that it been around for so long. for example amsoil has better oil and it doesn't even sale as much as mobil 1. do your search and see what you can come up.
Don't be so quick to assume Amsoil is better than M1. Terry Dyson has hinted at some data that shows Amsoil being inferior to other synthetics in certain ASTM tests. I do not remember if the test was regarding shear strength or some other property, but he noted that Amsoil maxed out the test at less than 200 hours, while other over-the-counter synthetics (Pennzoil Platinum, M1) easily lasted more than 500 hours. If someone is truly interested, I will make an effort to find the thread.

That being said, I have used both M1 and Amsoil comfortably. Either one is more than enough for my needs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.