8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to adjust the caster on our cars? More specifically, an FA5. I dont think there is an adjustment but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks,
Frankie

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
get hardracing front speherical lca bushings made for the ep3 or dc5. They work on our cars and give close to 2 degrees of caster adjustability. Cost is a little over 300$ for them.
Cool! Thanks!

EDIT: I cant find them. I found Hardrace but they dont seem to have what you're talking about

·
Registered
489 Posts
You can adjust the caster by adjusting the position of the subframe. There is about 2 degrees of adjustability, but its definitely not going to be as precise as those bushings.

I had my alignment tech (not at a honda dealer, don't trust them for alignments) adjusted my SF for me to get rid of the problem I had with my car pulling to the right. Just find a shop in your city that specializes in alignments and you can probably get that kind of work done.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Is there anyway to adjust the caster on our cars? More specifically, an FA5. I dont think there is an adjustment but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks,
Frankie
What is wrong with your caster? Our cars already have quite a bit, especially compared to previous FWD Hondas. Too much can add extra wear to the power steering.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You can adjust the caster by adjusting the position of the subframe. There is about 2 degrees of adjustability, but its definitely not going to be as precise as those bushings.

I had my alignment tech (not at a honda dealer, don't trust them for alignments) adjusted my SF for me to get rid of the problem I had with my car pulling to the right. Just find a shop in your city that specializes in alignments and you can probably get that kind of work done.
I work at a shop so I can take a shot at it.

What is wrong with your caster? Our cars already have quite a bit, especially compared to previous FWD Hondas. Too much can add extra wear to the power steering.
I was reading about doing a "performance" alignment on my car and Tire Rack says to use the manufacturers suggested maximum negative camber, maximum positive caster, and preferred toe settings are the way to go about getting a car to handle well on the street. So I was wondering about adjusting the caster. I'm not dead set on doing it, just curious, thats all lol

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I work at a shop so I can take a shot at it.

I was reading about doing a "performance" alignment on my car and Tire Rack says maximum negative camber, maximum positive caster, and preferred toe settings are the way to go about getting a car to handle well on the street. So I was wondering about adjusting the caster. I'm not dead set on doing it, just curious, thats all lol
Maximum negative camber would hurt things like braking performance, on-center stability and tire wear. There's a limit to how much of anything you want if you're not willing to live with the trade-offs. I would think I'd look at what others have done as a baseline and not try to get the maximum of anything until I was sure I even needed it and/or could live with the consequences. I'd try focusing on getting more camber in front and less in the rear before I moved on to caster.

Read this (covers caster and camber):

Suspension Tuning Negative Camber - Sport Compact Car Magazine

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maximum negative camber would hurt things like braking performance, on-center stability and tire wear. There's a limit to how much of anything you want if you're not willing to live with the trade-offs. I would think I'd look at what others have done as a baseline and not try to get the maximum of anything until I was sure I even needed it and/or could live with the consequences. I'd try focusing on getting more camber in front and less in the rear before I moved on to caster.

Read this (covers caster and camber):

Suspension Tuning Negative Camber - Sport Compact Car Magazine
I dont have time to read that article now, but I will read it later.

I left out some important info. Tire Rack says to use the manufacturers max suggested neg camber and pos caster. Like, at the limits of the "in-spec" range, not the max settings able to be used lol

I planned to play with the camber first and maybe the rear toe. I dont know if anyone else has experienced this, but I get snap understeer. Like I'll be pushing it through a corner and it feels good, then out of nowhere, the front tires break traction and it starts to understeer severely! So I kinda want to get rid of that lol

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
i have problems with my caster too, i am wondering if the buddy club extended ball joints would help since i'm lowered. will post my alignment printout later.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
get hardracing front speherical lca bushings made for the ep3 or dc5. They work on our cars and give close to 2 degrees of caster adjustability. Cost is a little over 300$ for them.

maybe stick to herraflush stuff :p
:rotfl: oh well i thought there was a kit type thing out there but wasnt sure
but i was told by an alignment guy!!! ok?! :sadface: f u!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Cool! Thanks!

EDIT: I cant find them. I found Hardrace but they dont seem to have what you're talking about
Special Projects MS

This is a shop by my house and when i spoke to them about the ep3/dc5 front lca bushings they said fitment should be the same.

I dont believe the hardrace are on the site, i'm not sure, but give them a call because they do have them in stock. Last time i was at the shop they did at least.

Hope that helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts