8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
some1 asked him on the second page if he was making one for the 06+ si but he never answered :(

i just read through all 14 pages and only 2 ppl asked about a roof cap for the 06+ si. he seemed to respond to everyone but the ppl who asked about our cars. :( im about to make an account and post/pm him about these roofs for the si....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
-Fully trained in open molding, Light RTM, RTM, VIP, Autoclave, and VRTM manufacturing.

His facility has autoclave. I'm pretty sure he can make a nice dry carbon roof which is lighter and 4 times stronger than a steel and way cheaper than a Spoon unit. Can you imagine you can lose about 50 pounds from the highest point of our car and how good our cars will handle after?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
-Fully trained in open molding, Light RTM, RTM, VIP, Autoclave, and VRTM manufacturing.

His facility has autoclave. I'm pretty sure he can make a nice dry carbon roof which is lighter and 4 times stronger than a steel and way cheaper than a Spoon unit. Can you imagine you can lose about 50 pounds from the highest point of our car and how good our cars will handle after?
dont these just stick on top of the roof? i dont think you actually replace the roof so its purely cosmetic and adds weight if anything. regardless, if he makes one for an FG2 i will be interested.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
dont these just stick on top of the roof? i dont think you actually replace the roof so its purely cosmetic and adds weight if anything. regardless, if he makes one for an FG2 i will be interested.
I believe somebody asked if he did full replacement pieces, and he said that he did.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
so what are you going to do... cut a giant hole in ur roof?? lol what about the sun roof? how will you mount it?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The more I read, the more I'm starting to think that this is the case.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
i read all 14 pages of that thread last night and no where did i see anyone discuss cutting a hole in there roof. they are all "caps" which means they just lay on top of the roof, at least, that's what i gathered from reading every post of that thread.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The point of this is make the roof light as possible for handling. That means take off the sunroof. I'm worry about other roof maker is I'm not sure they are real dry carbon roof which is the real stuff. The real stuff have to be baked in oven called AUTOCLAVE which give the carbon fiber the strength and lightness. Some maker just make fiberglass embedded carbon and call a day. This guy have AUTOCLAVE at his facility. Spoon roof is good but I don't think Spoon actually make their own carbon roof. They probably have other maker make the part and put Spoon logo slap $1000 mark up because of the Spoon logo.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
so what are you going to do... cut a giant hole in ur roof?? lol what about the sun roof? how will you mount it?
You don't, CF roof deletes the moon-roof (weight saving/drags).
As for cutting, roof panel are hold in place by welds, which can be remove (like quarter panels).
As for mounting, there's special resins (forgot what its call:confused:) that will glue the CF to its place.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seems like they have 2 kind of roofs. 1 is for just lay the cap over to existing roof just for show and they have what they called Pro caps that will replace the existing metal roof for the weight saving.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts