8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i bought a cf hood from a member here on 8thcivic.

the cf hood has bubbles around the edges.i would have pics but it would be useless because my camera cannot catch them. is there any way to remove the bubbles?

and how do you take care of a cf hood?

thanks in advance

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
well,are the bubbles in the clear coat or does it look like the hood is delaminating?
if it's just the clear you could have it sanded down and recleared.I'm assuming that you take care of a CF hood the same as a normal hood,you keep it clean and wax it.Just beware that lower quality hoods will eventually fade to a yellow color in the sunlight.

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
No,the yellowing comes from damage to the clearcoat from U.v. light..I don't think you'd be able to really polish it out as it "in" the clearcoat as apposed to just being on the surface.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm kind of a carbon fiber hood expert so hopefully this will help everyone out. I know there is some confusion out there about all the ways a carbon hood can bite the dust.

If the hood turns yellow it is UV damage to the resin. This can't really be fixed unless you sand it down to the carbon and go for the "dry carbon" look. I have a feeling this is what some of the shady companies in L.A. have been doing lately.

If the hood gets a white haze in it you typically have oxidation. The method posted above will buff that out or you can take the clear off and re clear it.

If you have small, round divots in the surface of the hood, this is usually oxidation that's just out of control. This is usually caused by using a crappy non-clearcoat safe wax like turtle wax. You can USUALLY sand this out but you will HAVE to reclear it.

If you have large bubbles or a large section that appears to be pulling away from the fiber underneath you most likely have a factory defect. Most reputable companies would replace the hood in this situation. However, since you're the second owner of the hood you're probably SOL if this is your case.

As far as maintenance of the carbon hood goes, it is the same as a stock hood. You want to keep it clean and keep it waxed with a good, clearcoat safe wax like mother's. If you won't be driving the car for a while, cover the car with a car cover. A $20 car cover is well worth it down the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.