8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switch the radiator hose to put in my p2r throttle body spacer. Some coolant spilled out. Got new hose in and refill coolant. Now my car won't stay on after like 20 sec of idle.Any one know any ideas of why?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i start up the car it sound like a really bad idle. it go brrr brrr brr brr then u see the rpm drop lower and lower then the car shuts off. I think it has to be something with to coolant because I changed to another radiator hose so my spacer and cai would fit. While in the process lot of the coolant spilled when i took off the hose. But i refilled it and now my car is stuck at my friends house.

·
Registered
504 Posts
No CEL? What happens when you step on the gas pedal? Check the DBW harness to the throttle body if it's loose.

Finally, you can do the Idle-Learn Procedure: (Follow what the instructions below to the letter. However, disregard what it says about the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) if you don't have one.)

ECM Idle Learn Procedure

The idle learn procedure must be done so the ECM can learn the engine idle characteristics.

Do the idle learn procedure whenever you do any of these actions:

Replace ECM.
Reset ECM.
Update ECM.
Replace or clean the throttle body.

NOTE: Erasing DTCs with the HDS does not require you to do the idle learn procedure.

Procedure:
1. Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, lights, etc.) are off.
2. Reset the ECM with the HDS.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait 2 seconds.
4. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm (min-1) without load (in neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 90 °C (194 °F).
5. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.
NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.
6. Verify the IDLE LEARN in the DATA LIST is completed with the HDS.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
This probably is not it but did you make sure there was no air in your cooling system after you lost some coolant ? Just leave the radiator cap off and try starting the car see what happens. Just a thought.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Did you spill large amounts of radiator fluid into your intake? It amazes me what people play around with.
:pat: What people play around with? By putting an intake on?

No CEL? What happens when you step on the gas pedal? Check the DBW harness to the throttle body if it's loose.

Finally, you can do the Idle-Learn Procedure: (Follow what the instructions below to the letter. However, disregard what it says about the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) if you don't have one.)

ECM Idle Learn Procedure

The idle learn procedure must be done so the ECM can learn the engine idle characteristics.

Do the idle learn procedure whenever you do any of these actions:

Replace ECM.
Reset ECM.
Update ECM.
Replace or clean the throttle body.

NOTE: Erasing DTCs with the HDS does not require you to do the idle learn procedure.

Procedure:
1. Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, lights, etc.) are off.
2. Reset the ECM with the HDS.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait 2 seconds.
4. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm (min-1) without load (in neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 90 °C (194 °F).
5. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.
NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.
6. Verify the IDLE LEARN in the DATA LIST is completed with the HDS.
This really has nothing to do with his idle problems. The car would still idle....

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah the only way it will stay on is if i gas it. I dont think coolant fell into my intake im not dumb enough to aim the coolant in there while spilling it. I did refill the coolant.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
so i should just plug a screw in there just to cover it right? whats hds?
yeah...mine came with a plastic cap that I screwed in. Think of it this way...your car meters all the air coming into it so it knows how much fuel to inject, if you have a big hole after were you read your air, your going to be running really lean because of all this unmetered air getting into your motor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts