8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so my friend has a 1995 Nissan MAxima with a fairly new battery. Within the last 2 years at least.

When we jump started it, it started and we drove it around for 10 minutes. Turned off the engine but it won't start again. The new battery has a hole for the green and orange color and his battery shows green. But the car wont start.

So when i turn the key i hear one cht but it if i hold it...it just stops trying to start. Its not a cht cht cht cht sound its just cht and then it stops trying.

What is wrong!?!?!? alternator? starter? battery? bad connection?

But it starts when jumped...but when we turn it off after charging the battery...it doesnt work.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You need to check the charge of the battery, or try to jump start it before blaming the battery. If the battery is fine then I'd guess you have a bad starter. If the battery is dead, it's the alternator. Most likely the latter.

·
Registered
221 Posts
make sure the connections are clean and tight on the battery. starter and Ground strap.

Then hook up a volt meter while it is running and see if it is charging.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it does jump start, but when we turn it off...it doesn't start up again after driving it around for 10 minutes allowing it to recharge. So i'm thinking its the alternator.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well it does jump start, but when we turn it off...it doesn't start up again after driving it around for 10 minutes allowing it to recharge. So i'm thinking its the alternator.
Not necasarily, if your battery is shot it will run on the alternator till you shut it down and then when you try to start it, it won't start.

Only way to be sure is with a volt meter.

You can also do a voltage drop test on the wires and a load test on the battery with a VM to be sure.

Guessing is what cost you money.

If you need help let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts