8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Honda civic Ex 4Dr with 204,000 miles on it. I had the charcoal canister replaced along with two sensors back there and the purge valve replaced as well. A week later, P0496 came up and anytime I fill my car up with any amount of gas my car won't start up whatsoever. It cranks, I have power, and if it does start... My car will shake, I can see my RPM's dropping off, and then the engine starts shutting down. What I'll do is press on the gas pedal while starting the car, then keep the RPM's around 1,000 then after a min or two the car will start fine and yes, drive perfectly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes verify fuel pump. I had the electrical connections into the tank get burnt up which caused an intermittent. Verify the wiring at the pump. Had to replace whole assembly but it’s been fine for last 80K miles since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When did you replace your purge valve? If your sure its not that I would look into the fuel pump next.
I replaced it a week before the problem started to happen, but I don’t think a brand new aftermarket part would cause a problem. But who knows, I’m still learning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes verify fuel pump. I had the electrical connections into the tank get burnt up which caused an intermittent. Verify the wiring at the pump. Had to replace whole assembly but it’s been fine for last 80K miles since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m guessing it’s that because everything else is ok, new spark plugs and air filter. No leaks anywhere, had leaks checked out twice just in case. Plus, whenever I use cruise control P0171 pops up. Then goes away when I don’t use it. When I use it again, it’ll come back.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Easy enough to get to. Just unbolt rear seat bracket and cover plate. You can see wiring harness on top. If burnt you will know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts