8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I encountered a little problem last night when coming home from a subway, car drives perfectly fine, however the car wouldnt go out of Park (P position). I have an Automatic. Now, my Horn works, dome lights work, and i beleive my tailights work as well.

When i press the brake pedal, i hear a "click" which is the shift lock unlocking...however if i press the pedal slowly or maybe 2 of the 10 times i press the brake pedal, that click will not sound and the shifter button will be locked and the car will not go out of park.

Anyone else have any experiences like this?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
You should try to see if the brake lights are lighting during the times when no click is occuring, you may have an intermittent brake switch.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, i narrowed it down to that as well as 2 other potential things. Tonight im going to test it and have someone look at the brake lights. \

Would that be an expensive repair if it is either is that, or the shift lock solenoid? warranty?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
The switches are fairly priced, I would say around $10 retail.

Seeing if the brake lights are also intermittent will narrow it down a bit.

Nothing if you still have warranty left.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
you should pull the cover of the console off and see if you can get a test light on the wire to the interlock solenoid. You said if you press the brakes a bunch of times sometimes you don't hear the solenoid click right? Put the test light on the wire to the solenoid and press the brake a bunch of times, every time you press the brakes you should see the test light light up. If it lights up and solenoid doesn't click you probably need a new one

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the good tips! will try that very soon! its very intermittent though, maybe a sign of a bad part waiting to fail...

but i have ebay fogs installed that wouldnt have anything to do with this issue??

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i did a simple test, started the car and pressed the brake pedal a bunch of times. when i heard the click, brake lights worked. When i pressed it and there was NO click, the brake lights did NOT light up.

When car is out of park, brake lights work fine.

So the culprit can be the brake light switch? solenoid in the center console? the entire shift interlock system?

It works 7 out of 10 attempts. If i press the brake pedal in using a more up/down motion, it seems to work much better.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im thinking the brake light switch may need a simple adjustment since its only intermittent. i can duplicate the issue though.

btw not sure if this is related, but when the switch does not work and the brake lights dont go on, my horn, and dome lights and all other lights work fine.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
frick! well while driving, i noticed that, my brake lights DO NOT always come on when braking....only sometimes. My tail lights work, but my brake lights dont always come on....though they do sometimes!

Would this be a confirmed brake light switch problem??

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sure sounds like it. If you have an 08 you should still have some warranty left, bring it in to your dealer.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya, if no one knows im braking lol...ugh

well the part at the dealer for the brake light switch is 14$ not bad at all...but it still should be under warranty. if not, i guess its not too bad. should take less than 15 minutes to fix it.

i got an appointment on wednesday at 1 pm. ill report back on what was done. or what the exact problem is.

anyone else have any experiences with this?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the item isnt covered here is the breakdown of the costs at the dealer:

95$ diag fee
14$ part
45$ install

Total: 174$ With taxes

At my local garage who knows about the issue

14$ for the part
25$ install

Total: 40$ flat.

Do i risk trying to get it warrantied? i have the extended 7 year 160 000 km warranty, but its not 100% that its covered, and if its not im f-cked out of money! lol what would you guys do now!!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
thats a safety issue. you under 36k mile warranty? if you are, its covered, bumper to bumper. this means basically any mechanical or electrical problem is covered.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have the extended warranty. my bumper to bumper was over in march, but i purchased the extended warranty 7 years 160 000 klm

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it says brake light sensor is covered, i assume it means brake light switch?

one of the technicians said to personally bring him to the car so i can show him, i specified i dont want to pay a diag fee for something i already know...he said just ask for me when you come in. So well seeee

1 - 20 of 27 Posts