8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a typical newbie question (my first car).

What kind of car wash should I take my new Civic?

I had the rust protection applied to the bottom of the car (black stuff).

The car is quite dirty because of snow here in Ontario...

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
If you're like me and live in a place where it is very cold during the winter months, and the roads are salted and you get slush all over your car, you don't have much of an option to hand wash your car in the winter, like some people will recommend to you.

The only option you have is to take your car through a touchfree (note the touch free part) car wash. Do not under any circumstances go to a car wash that uses anything that touches your car (Brushes or those octopus leg things) as that will scratch your paint.

Spend the extra dollar to get the underbody flush, just to be safe. Typically the extra money for the "wax" protection isn't worth it.

The biggest thing is to just make sure you don't use any carwashes with brushes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you're like me and live in a place where it is very cold during the winter months, and the roads are salted and you get slush all over your car, you don't have much of an option to hand wash your car in the winter, like some people will recommend to you.

The only option you have is to take your car through a touchfree (note the touch free part) car wash. Do not under any circumstances go to a car wash that uses anything that touches your car (Brushes or those octopus leg things) as that will scratch your paint.

Spend the extra dollar to get the underbody flush, just to be safe. Typically the extra money for the "wax" protection isn't worth it.

The biggest thing is to just make sure you don't use any carwashes with brushes.
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
10,957 Posts

We must be brothers. lol

I only handwash my car and the washmits get washed after each use.

I agree with the undercarriage washing.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
if your car is dirty but dry and kept out doors, just leave it like that
if it is less than 20F. keeping it dry is key.

if your car is wet and temps are upper 20F's to mid-30F's wash that
crap off as much as possible. minimum once a week. even if you have
to stick it through an unmanned touchless wash, just do it to get a
layer of that crap off. undercarriage wash is a good idea, although
most of the crap is actually in your fender well area and sus parts,
rocker panels.

dont wash your car when it's below 25F unless it's at a manned carwash
and they dry the car inside for you. otherwise the blast of water will
get into your doors, sus, seals, etc. and freeze.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.