8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about tinting my windows in my 07 Honda civic sedan. I live in NY, and i was wondering whats the most i can tint it and still be legal?
I want the tinting to be equal on each window (front, sides, and back).

I want it to be tinted enough so other can have trouble seeing who's inside.
Also, i use a portable GPS, will the tinting affect my GPS reception?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
in NY, it has to let more than 70% light in on the windshield, front 2 and back 2 side windows. You can have any tint youd like on your rear window. Also, you can have up to a 6" strip on your front windshield of any tint you would like.

That really blows because im 95% sure that the lightest tint anyone makes is 50%, and 70% is lighter than 50.

And the tinting will not affect your GPS if you get a ceramic based tint (non-metallic)

·
Registered
410 Posts
70% on the front windows which is extremelly light, like just trowing your money to the garbage; most people put 50% or 35%.
Rear 2 windows and back window as dark as you want, I recomend 20% because 5% is really dark and dangerous.
I have 20% all arround in one car and love it, but got one ticket which just paid it, I refuse to take it off, so just will have to pay if get more like most people around NY.
Have 35% all around in my other car and is too light on sunny days, I wish had 20% as well.
In my next car will put 20% on back windows and 35% on front ones or 20% on back one and 35% on all 4 side ones.
Get a good quality tint like Llumar high performance.

·
Registered
410 Posts
windsurf7 said:
will the car seem much darker inside if the back and back rear are 20% and the doors are 35% then having 35% all around?
Of course, will look darker and nicer, having 20% on back windows, specially the back one will protect your back seat, your speakers and passengers, keep car cooler and save air conditioner as well.
Then if have 35% on front ones will look slightly lighter than rear ones and cops will think you have 70% and leave you alone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
5% Windshield Strip
20% All Around

If you are worried about your vision at night, then do 35% on passenger and driver, 20% in the rear. However, the 20% all around would definitely be the way to go.

Mine costs $120 all around w/out a discount. You could probably have it done for $80.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would wait if I was you. The law may change in NYC ...in fact it probably will ,due to the murder of 2 Police Officers during a car stop, relatively recently.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
i have 20% all around i live in NY on my last honda i had 5% and i never got messed with if i was you i would put 20% if that's too dark just throw on 35% all around then again i have florida plates :\

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have 15% on all my windows and I've never been stopped while driving in NYC. The guy told me that when I got it installed that the laws were 35% on all windows and 6" strip on the windshield.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Don't get Metallic tint if you are using a GPS or plan to use Radar. Tint is based on what you can afford but the best tint out there is Huber Optik tint, it's ceramic.

·
Registered
414 Posts
on my crx i had 3% all around, you couldnt see in in broad daylight. needless to say i have 35% front doors, and 15% rears., i cant find one of the civic, and this is the only pic i can find of my crx right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gotta say - personal choice and all, but I'd pay to NOT have mine tinted.

In fact I refused to pay the uptick for it and was able to snag one before they applied the stuff.

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
Hey you dumbasses...
he said "NEW YORK CITY"

He doesn't care if you have limo style and live in texas, ct, etc...
he is asking for NYC guys to answer his NYC questions. If you don't know stuff about NYC laws then don't comment.

·
Registered
414 Posts
well i never actually got pulled over for my 3% tint in ny, they would just a seperate ticket when i was stopped for something else. it was just a hassle of the $75.00 fine each time, so i went with the 35% legal fronts.

Also as far as the last i heard for NY, 35% legal on the 2 front doors, and anything behind that could be as black as you want it, but no colored or reflective tints.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts