8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So whenever I start from a standstill, my car will shake pretty hard in first gear until i release the clutch all the way. It also shakes a little when I shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I just replaced my tires yesterday because I thought that might be the problem but it's still happening. Anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an update: I took it to the dealer and they said it was clutch chatter. They want to charge me $360 to rip it apart, just to check to see if there is something more than normal wear and tear (which wouldnt be covered under warranty of course).

I just dont see how the clutch could be going at only 33,600 miles?!?! I don't powershift at all or anything that could be considered "agressive driving". Anybody have this happen to them or any advice?

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you live in a cold area - warm up the car, and the car shouldn't rattle...wait until peak temp.

Perhaps you had a snowstorm, and you have ice frozen under your car - that happened to me, and my car would shake as if the balancing was off with my car...

Otherwise, i would ask if you can describhe more as to what is happening. I'm not too familiar with cluch chatter!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you live in a cold area - warm up the car, and the car shouldn't rattle...wait until peak temp.

Perhaps you had a snowstorm, and you have ice frozen under your car - that happened to me, and my car would shake as if the balancing was off with my car...

Otherwise, i would ask if you can describhe more as to what is happening. I'm not too familiar with cluch chatter!!!
Now that I think about it, I think I know what happened. I got stuck in a driveway a week or so back after a bad storm and rocked the hell out of it
(1st, reverse, 1st, reverse, etc) for a good 5-10 mins to get on the road. Afterwards I got a wonderful smell that I figured was burning rubber. :pat: I just didnt figure I could kill the clutch in one sitting like that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my del sol used to do that. it was bad motor mounts..any news since yesterday??
Well, I didnt want to dish out $360 to the dealer just so they could tell me "Normal wear and tear. Now give us $1500." So I had a mechanic friend of mine ride with me and he said he was 90% sure it was just worn out. So I found the Exedy OEM clutch kit on Excelerateperformance.com for only $183 :dance: and the OEM Flywheel from Collegehillshonda.com for $170 and I'm gonna have him install it for a couple bucks. Only now, I'm wondering if I should go with an aftermarket clutch and flywheel (Clutch Masters Stage 1 and Fidanza Fly Wheel) or just go OEM???

·
Registered
96 Posts
hey guys i have the same problem.. i just changed my clutch from exedy stage 2 clutch to stage 4 6puck competition clutch and when i was breaking it it it shaked madd hard wen i would start off from 0 mph. and the only way it wont shake is if i give it gas like up to 2 1/2- 3rpms.. and now after 800miles of breaking it in it is starting to spit out clutch spring. YESS CLUTCH SPRINGS.. it already spit two out and it sounds like the 3rd one is on its way. i took the little plate off the bottle of the tranny and they come out of there. im going to drop the tranny this weekend and send the clutch back to competition clutch company and hope they send me a new one or just brush me off and say its my fault that **** happend.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i just made a post about this because i am experiencing the same problem.. i too thought it was my tires... as if it was nto grabbing and hopping.. but i guess this is a very common thing.. i just did not think it would be anything mechanical because i only have 60k on my car! hmmm.. the thing with me is that it only happens when it is cold outside.. and doesnt really improve or change whether the car is cold or warm.

in the summer and spring, this never happens! weird. also, this never happens in my parkade anytime of the year

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.