8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm new to this site, and I think i've posted here once. My g/f has a 2008 Civic with 30k miles on it. Her sister hit something in the road which put a crater sized whole in the oil pan and ran ALL the oil out of the motor resulting in a locked motor. Needless to say, the insurance company was contacted and had to replace the motor.

The motor was replaced with a used one with "equal or lesser mileage" (crappy insurance company). Now the car randomly shuts off. THere appears to be no rhyme or reason to when it does it. On occasion it'll to it when the car comes to a stop light, but other times it won't to it at all. Finally, one day last week she tried to start it and it was a hard start/wouldn't hold the start. I came out got the car started, let it warm up drove it a little....and it stayed on. LOL then came to the next light, it died.

It started right back up, but idled super low unless i gave it gas.

I'm not an idiot when it comes to cars, but i'm definately not a certified tech. I've built a custom turbo kit for my scion tC so i do know a little, but i'm definately no guru. So i've reached out to my foreign car botheren.

oh, forgot to mention NO CEL!!! it came on once, and she took it back to the car shop, and they never did tel me what the light was....they're full-o-crap and theres really nothing i can do about it at the moment.

Here's my thoughts:

idle air control valve (don't know if that even exists on this car)

fuel pressure regulator (again...don't know if this even exists on this car)

bad injector (injectors weren't replaced, so they SHOULD still be ok...but COULD have gone bad some way....not sure)

some other RANDOM sensor that would have gone bad in the process of pulling the engine.

HELP?!?!?! any assistance is appreciated!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
When it is running "normal" where is your idle? I am assuming this is on an R18 and not the SI? Any modifications or all stock?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try this... Clean your MAF sensor. ( Make sure to use the proper cleaner. )
Then reset the ECU ( disconnect the battery for several minutes... just make sure you have the radio security code before you do it ) Follow " The how to reset the ECU " proceedure posted on this site as the ECU will have to re-learn its setting. That should do it.

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it is running "normal" where is your idle? I am assuming this is on an R18 and not the SI? Any modifications or all stock?

Yeah, meant to clarify. This is the R18. EVERYTHING is stock, and its an auto. WHen its running "normal" idle is between 600-800 RPM. Sometimes, though, it'll "search" for the idle. It'll dip as low as 200-300 and then jump to 1000 rpm to to stay running. It NEVER appears to go above that though.

Cam sensor? Maybe something with vtech??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then reset the ECU ( disconnect the battery for several minutes... just make sure you have the radio security code before you do it ) Follow " The how to reset the ECU " proceedure posted on this site as the ECU will have to re-learn its setting. That should do it.

Good luck
hmmm, ok, i'll tell the mechanic to do that, if he refuses, i'll do it myself with MAF cleaner. Not sure if that'll work, but i'll try that....open to any other suggestions guys!!!

Thanx again for the replies so far....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Good luck
ok, so i just read the how to on resetting the ecu, which is merely unplugging the battery for 20+min and letting the car idle for 5-10 minutes. However, I'm assuming that the civic is at least as smart as my scion. The ecu still learns with will adjust accordingly, it just takes some time right?? I mean i'll definately clean the MAF with the cleaner, but don't you think that the ecu would have adjusted by now?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you know if the intake manifold was removed ? Are all the vaccum hose properly connected ? ( might have a vaccum leak ? ) Or even an EGR valve thats not closing properly ( but it will usually through a code when this happens ) Anyway try cleaning the MAF sensor first and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, i work full time and i'm in law school, so i won't have the time to check it out until this weekend. i'm gonna have her take it back in tomorrow morning (she just got it out today and it died when she was parking in front of her house). I'm going to attempt to brain storm with the tech and go from there.

I just know you guys know more than them any day.... I'll buy the cleaner tonight toptech, thanx

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yeah I was going to say maybe a vaccum leak somewhere. Check all of the lines and make sure there arent any cracks or loose connections. If there is a leak it would cause the fluctuating idle and possibly the stalling when you come to a stop. I would also lean toward a leak as its not throwing a CEL. GL and keep us posted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As for the ECU having learned by now, yes it might have. But the point is to have the ecu learn with accurate air flow readings, and not to "learn" using incorrect air flow values from a dirty sensor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts