8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've noticed my Si has been pulling to the right when ever i drive on the highway, or anywhere for that matter. I decided to get all my tires balances (Winters and Summers) and also get an alignment. It turns out my current alignment wasn't that off. As i was driving back i noticed is still was pulling to the right. I tried the summer tires on and took it for a spin. The same thing! still pulls to the right!. So i tried driving my moms SI (Same year but a FA5) and it did the same thing! It happens for her car when you use her winter tires and summer tires (Each have different rims). I was reading previous forums about this but nobody ever came to a conclusion. About the best thing i found was because the transmission is on the left so one tire gets more pull than the other due to axial length. How many other people are experiencing this problem??? And what is the proper fix to this? or am i just going to have to get use to driving a car that pulls to the right?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
i have the same issue on R18, however it may have been related to me mildly hitting a curb down a ramp last year =/ i've yet to figure out how to find out what's causing it

·
Registered
161 Posts
My 07 si coupe also pulls to the right. Iv gotten it aligned 3 times and still

Sent using IPhone 4s Autoguide.com app

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car does the same thing. I even noticed when test driving that every SI pulled to the right. Im not even sure its worth trying to get an alignment because it seems to be common.
A good start tho is to check your tire pressure because that could cause the issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats hard to believe though that it is standard to pull to the right. It never use to do that until within the last 8 months or so. And i also checked my tire pressure and made sure they are all perfectly at the same psi. Still pulls to the right even after that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 07 sedan si has pulled to the right since I drove it off the showroom, have had it aligned numerous times and have completely aftermarket suspension and rims and tires with proper alignment and camber arms and it still pulls to the right. Never too drastic but it is a slight pull at highway speeds where if I let it go long enough I could probably change lanes without touching steering wheel lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Guys if you don't want your cars to pull to the right theirs a very easy fix for around 30 bucks.

Buy these camber bolts: CorSport: Honda - 2006-2011 Honda Civic Si - 81260

Install them and have your alignment shop set the front driver side to 0 degrees of camber and your front passenger wheel to around -0.5 these specs are within honda specifications and will not cause uneven tire wear. If you have a severe pull you can add more negative camber to your front passenger wheel intill your car drives straight.

The side with the most positive camber will always cause a pull to that side. If you follow the above specs you will cause a pull to the left and since your car was already pulling to the right guess what your cars going to drive straight!!

I had a pull to the right like everyone else I did the above and my car drives straight at 80mph. Try at your own risk I take no responsibility if you screw something up.

Uneven tire pressure will also cause a pull make sure all 4 tires have the exact same air pressure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you changed your camber like that wouldn't that cause your car to turn sharper to the left and not to the right? or is the handling so minimal you dont notice? How long have your been running that setup to?

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you changed your camber like that wouldn't that cause your car to turn sharper to the left and not to the right? or is the handling so minimal you dont notice? How long have your been running that setup to?
For everyday driving I didn't notice any difference in turning. I've been running this setup for a couple months works great.

·
Registered
333 Posts
to the rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright.
road crown is built into every road. sometimes more than others, sometimes more noticeable than others.​

for the record,
wheel balance is for uneven tire wear prevention (and vibration), will never cause a pull in either direction
2nd, my car doesn't pull to the right, so the "everyone's does it" logic is flawed
(with the exception of the above explanation- maybe everyone's opinion on how long a car should track straight on a road is unrealistic)
try side to side wheel rotation, if that doesn't work and your car can change lanes within 1 second of you letting your hands off the wheel then something is wrong with the alignment of the car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My car didnt pull with the stock wheels on but with my winter tires on steelies it pulls to the right hard. They were balanced when i bought them so I'm not sure what the issue is.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
As others have mentioned, tire/wheel imbalance will not cause the car to pull. Also, as illustrated above, roads are crowned to allow water runoff. So, here's a simple test to perform:

Drive in the left lane of a freeway that has a ditch in the median. If the car pulls left or stays straight, your alignment is probably OK, and your car is just following the road crown.

-OR-

Find a perfectly level road. If you can. Once you have, drive at around 40mph, then put the car in neutral, and let it roll, with your thumbs just barely on the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock spokes. If your alignment is true, your car should roll straight. The car must be in neutral, otherwise engine/drivetrain will have an effect on the front wheels.

Lastly, there is the possibility that some prior collision work wasn't done correctly, and your frame is slightly tweaked. If you're the only owner and it's never been wrecked, this probably isn't the case, but if you're not...

Unsubstantiated: Rumor has it, all cars are built to drift slightly to the right, so that you'll end up in a ditch instead of oncoming traffic, should you ever fall asleep at the wheel.This is only a rumor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As others have mentioned, tire/wheel imbalance will not cause the car to pull. Also, as illustrated above, roads are crowned to allow water runoff. So, here's a simple test to perform:

Drive in the left lane of a freeway that has a ditch in the median. If the car pulls left or stays straight, your alignment is probably OK, and your car is just following the road crown.

-OR-

Find a perfectly level road. If you can. Once you have, drive at around 40mph, then put the car in neutral, and let it roll, with your thumbs just barely on the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock spokes. If your alignment is true, your car should roll straight. The car must be in neutral, otherwise engine/drivetrain will have an effect on the front wheels.

Lastly, there is the possibility that some prior collision work wasn't done correctly, and your frame is slightly tweaked. If you're the only owner and it's never been wrecked, this probably isn't the case, but if you're not...

Unsubstantiated: Rumor has it, all cars are built to drift slightly to the right, so that you'll end up in a ditch instead of oncoming traffic, should you ever fall asleep at the wheel.This is only a rumor.
I got the wheel balance because my O.Z. rims were makeing a "wooping" noise. They checked to see wether the rim was dented but said all it needed was just a new balance. As far as the curvature of the road i feel it doesn't have that much of an effect. It use to always pull straight on all of the interstate straight aways. To the point were i could take my hand of the wheel for a min and it would still stay in the lane perfectly. Now if i take it off for 24 sec its in the other lane. I did the test in a big parking lot that was flat and it still pulled to the right. I feel the road may have some effect to problem of pulling to the right, but i dont feel its that much. If that was the case why doesn't everyone complain about it?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Most of the time, it's the road that does that. I had a bent strut that would make the car pull right under acceleration, and pull to the left when you brake. Hit one of those wonderful potholes a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts