8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm having similar pulling issue with my car; it was lowered when i bought it so i thought it's because of that; put in brand new OEM suspension, brand new tires, and alignment with all measurements in spec and the car is still pulling. but in my case, the car steers to the right when the road in inclined right and steers to the left when the road is inclined left; the road has to be straight to be able to remove my hands from the steering wheel for a second, otherwise i have to keep my hand on the steering wheel since as soon as i remove them the car steers; any idea what may be wrong ? is this a steering rack problem ?

·
Registered
232 Posts
OKKKKKKK. They screwed that up. I had a hard time figuring the numbers out since they "slotted" your lower strut mount bolt holes (Which is unsafe by the way).

Now, your right front wheel alignment is wrong. As you cans see, there is a 1 degree difference between left and right SAI values. There is either a bent lower control arm or a bent strut. The strut can be verified by placing a ratchet + socket on the upper strut nut and camber value should change. If it doesn't change then it will definitely be the lower control arm. SAI values, together with camber affect scrub radius. Scrub radius is either positive or negative. On FWD vehicles, you want to have a negative scrub radius. In this case, vehicle's scrub radius at this point is most likely in the positive side (point of contact wants to go behind point of load, in short, it wants to steer outward, therefore, pull to the right). Unfortunately, we do not have that value on your sheet so we can't really verify.

I would recommend having it diagnosed correctly by a reputable alignment shop and not some drill here, drill there, cut here, cut there shop. I mean, I'm impressed by their camber job on your strut but that's about it. They didn't even check your SAI value before doing any work. SAI is a very good diagnostic angle, to pin-point bent components.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm having similar pulling issue with my car; it was lowered when i bought it so i thought it's because of that; put in brand new OEM suspension, brand new tires, and alignment with all measurements in spec and the car is still pulling. but in my case, the car steers to the right when the road in inclined right and steers to the left when the road is inclined left; the road has to be straight to be able to remove my hands from the steering wheel for a second, otherwise i have to keep my hand on the steering wheel since as soon as i remove them the car steers; any idea what may be wrong ? is this a steering rack problem ?
No. Nothing's wrong with it. All cars do that. Its called road crown and we want those on our roads so we don't have flooded roads in the middle and all flood water will go straight to the drains. Its just how roads are engineered.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i'm sure it's not the road crown effect because i also have an ep3 and it doesn't handle like this, my Fg2 has some problem that i need to find out; one other symptom of this is that whenever i come to a full stop, the steering wheels always steers to the right and i have verified that the brakes are not dragging; it's like the car thinks the center is to the right but the alignment is not off ( the attachment shows the alignment spec, everything looks good)

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Wanted to give an update and resolution to my problem. It was my lower control arm that was bent after all. I took on the challenge to install it myself. Thank god for having air tools. It made the job much easier. After installation I only noticed a slight improvement. I swapped the tires left to right and no change.

Today I went to the dealer (Fox Valley Honda in Aurora, IL) and they were able to determine nothing else was bent. After I put in the arm it just needed another 4 wheel alignment which was on special for $99. Anyone out in the area I will let you know the Service Dept is incredibly friendly. I noticed on Yelp they got very high remarks so that is where I went compared to other dealers. The dealership is amazing with bamboo floors, Starbucks coffee, leather recliners with charging ports, TV's and a children's playroom.

Hope this helps with anyone else with a pulling issue. They told me the control arm is usually the first thing to bend when hitting a pot hole.

The car drives true and straight

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wanted to give an update and resolution to my problem. It was my lower control arm that was bent after all. I took on the challenge to install it myself. Thank god for having air tools. It made the job much easier. After installation I only noticed a slight improvement. I swapped the tires left to right and no change.

Today I went to the dealer (Fox Valley Honda in Aurora, IL) and they were able to determine nothing else was bent. After I put in the arm it just needed another 4 wheel alignment which was on special for $99. Anyone out in the area I will let you know the Service Dept is incredibly friendly. I noticed on Yelp they got very high remarks so that is where I went compared to other dealers. The dealership is amazing with bamboo floors, Starbucks coffee, leather recliners with charging ports, TV's and a children's playroom.

Hope this helps with anyone else with a pulling issue. They told me the control arm is usually the first thing to bend when hitting a pot hole.

The car drives true and straight
Hey digger1978, I know this is an old thread, but I’m experiencing that same symptoms. I came out of a parking garage hard one day 2 years ago in downtown LA and I herd a pop or bang if I recall correctly. I was making a right and I had to do it fast because everyone in DTLA drives like a ****. And ever since then, the car will not drive straight without me holding the steering wheel to the left for about 5 - 10 degrees. Car wants to pull right. I’ve had new tires put on, new springs installed, alignment done, and the problem still persists.

What metrics can I use to prove to a dealership that the control arms or strut is bent?? Someone please help, this issue is probably causing premature wear on my Michelin tires 😭!

·
Registered
338 Posts
If I can verify that it’s the front control arm that’s broken, I may replace both with the Hardrace Rubber LCA.

HARDRACE GLOBAL - FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM 6725-S
I may also look into replacing my strut mounts as well. It seems like I’ve had nothing but suspension issues with this car. It was dialed in from 2016 to 2018 when I was on Neuspeed Sport springs cruising around Orange County. Ever since I’ve been in LA County, the roads ate up my car. 🤕

21 - 32 of 32 Posts