8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First I did try going through numerous posts to see if I could find my answer. No luck so here I go.

A few months back I hit a pothole on the passengers side with my 2007 FA5. I was traveling straight about 45mph and bam! The car started veering off to the right and I pulled over immediately. The front tire was blown out the sidewall. Put the spare on on went to Costco to get a new Michelin tire. The said they could not see any external damage to the rear tire. There was no damage to the rims and the car does not vibrate.

The car was pulling bad to the right so off to the alignment shop. They said the front struts did not have enough alignment left and they would need to slot the struts. After slotting the showed me the before and after specs and the car was within the specified ranges (both front and back)

The car still pulls to the right but not as bad. Rotated tires and same results. Tire pressure is equal all the way around and the brakes are not dragging. I went under the car and tried to see if something is bent. I could not find any dripping fluid off the strut, no paint flaked off the lower control arm, knuckle, tie rod or frame (at least than I can see). No ripples or tears in the frame or control arm. If something is truly bent what would be the most likely part(s) that are bent? I can fix myself the lower control arms, knuckle, or tie rod but don't want to just start replacing all parts if only one part is bad. Could the frame now be shifted and out of alignment? Is there anything else I can check for? The pulling to right is driving me nuts and I am looking for advice again on what part(s) might be damaged. Or does anyone know a reputable shop in the NW suburbs of Chicago? I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
They build roads to slope to the right so that the rain drains off.

Because of this, every car in the world pulls to the right when you drive down the road.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hopefully the alignment shop would not have aligned it if anything was bent - but the "slotting" the struts is a huge red flag to me - I've never heard that before. If they couldn't align it with some modification, then something is wrong (bent or broken).

·
Registered
43 Posts
They shouldn't be slotting anything. OEM parts were all designed to work together, and have enough adjustability, with in the tolerances that Honda felt were acceptable. If your stock parts cant be brought back into alignment specs and you've hit some serious pot holes, something is broke/bent/damaged. I wouldn't be bringing it back to that alignment shop either if their solution was slotting something

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
You can't slot the struts.

The torque specs on the knuckle to strut bolts is only like 60ft-lbs. There isn't enough tension there to keep them from slipping.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Testify - Yes I know the roads slope to the right and some roads I travel on are flat. It still pulls to the right. It appears the general consensus is no to slot struts. I have now learned.

mikee385 - no the rims are not bent and there is no vibration whatsoever.

spiffy - I agree with you but I trusted them and decided to have them slot the struts. It did help but did not completely take the pull to the right out. I will be going to another shop that I can do some research on Yelp.

CT9AIX - I went to a Just Tires shop and will be looking for another shop that can give me better answers. If all else fails, I will be off to a Honda dealership and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
If they slotted your struts, I would be very concerned that they overtorqued your strut to knuckle bolts. A failure there will cause an accident that could seriously injure or kill you or someone else.

Time to buy two new struts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cross rotate the tires first, sometimes alignment machines are out of whack and haven't been recalibrated and it could be off, but that doesn't happen to often.
Yes there is a crown in roads for rain, but that is very slight and most the time not noticeable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
80 percent of my customers that come through my shop with that issue,they usaually have bent struts slotting shoild not have been done if anything different camber bolts are used.they are smaller diameter thus giving more adjustment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How would a bent strut cause this issue? Reason I ask is because ive had this same issue. Slight pull to the right even after a new set of tires, with a 4 wheel alignment done, and ive checked the alignment after it was done as well to see if everything was still in spec....which it is. Tires have about 1000 miles on them, FR caliper moves freely and is not sticking at all... i'm a little lost myself on this

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
Even though you cannot always see it, roads slope to the right, and ALL cars will always pull right.

Simply saying "nuh uh, can't be that" is just ignorant.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I own 4 vehicles. I test them all on the same road, the Civic is the only one pulling to the right. The 3 others drive straight as an arrow... its not the road in my case

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
I own 4 vehicles. I test them all on the same road, the Civic is the only one pulling to the right. The 3 others drive straight as an arrow... its not the road in my case
Maybe it's your other 3 cars that have the alignment issue.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I asked to have the alignment sheet posted but to no avail.

Every vehicle has a maximum of 0.5 degree pull to the left for road crown compensation.

In Honda's case, it's 0.3 degree left pull.

Pulling angles are caster and camber, and somewhat toe, if severe, can give you a pulling feel but is not actually pulling. Toe only determines steering wheel centering.

If the alignment shop adjusted your caster and camber to specification (pull to left 0.3 degree), vehicle should go straight

This is why I was asking for the alignment sheet but you failed to post it. Also, the struts should've been replaced and a proper "impact inspection" should've been done. An impact inspection includes a wheel alignment check as the wheel alignment rack will tell a technician what components are bent just by looking at the numbers.

Reading your story, it looks like someone needs a spanking from the shop you had your car repaired. If your car is pulling to the right, it tells me you have either a bent lower control arm or bent downward knuckle (resulting to a more positive camber which causes a severe pull to the right). The lower control arm could also be bent rearward from the knuckle causing the car to have a more negative caster on the right side which will cause the vehicle to pull right

More positive camber = pulls to that side
Less positive (more negative) caster = pulls to that side

Another issue can be a bad rear toe which can contribute to a slight pull.

(Example: LEFT REAR -0.35 RIGHT REAR +0.35. This set up will direct rear tires to pull left thus cause the front end to pull right. This is called thrust angle)

These are the things I can think of since you mentioned you had hit a pothole.

Alignment sheet would help a lot.

AND EVEN IF ALL ANGLES ARE IN SPEC, DOESN'T MEAN ALIGNMENT IS GOOD. Its easy to say alignment is good if you don't even know what those angles are for.
Tire pull is out of the question since you already cross rotated them and you said it still pulls right.
And I did not google these facts.
These are from the top of my head.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Sorry the delay everyone. I have been traveling a lot for work and still have not made it to the dealership. It is not a stuck caliper or warped rotor. I lube the brake pins every year and inspected all the brake components. As I stated before it is not the crown in the road as the car pulls and doesn't drift.

"pkscrs" thank you for the information above. As requested I have finally attached the alignment sheet. Let me know what you think. Thank you.

Just Tire Alignment-page-001.jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts