8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 2006 Civic with about 35k miles on it.

About 3 weeks ago I had a slight "roar" noise. Not quite a roar, but maybe a hum..

I then got the tires rotated & balanced. The sound didn't go away... it's progressively gotten more noitceable and has turned into a loud roar: think of monster truck tires.

I called some friends and they all say it sounds like either a bearing or tire. One's a Ford tech but he's so dang busy all the time that he can't get around to come and check it out.

So, I called up Honda few minutes ago. Told the guy what was going on. He said it's most likely the tires due to the rotation. He said the different wear patterns are causing it and they'll continue to do it until I get new tires, or I can just live with the noise. I trust the guys there, and they're always pretty helpful with things so I don't think he's taking me for a ride. He said to feel around the front tires and if there were any bumps or imperfections that's what's causing it. I felt around and didn't feel anything weird. Just regular ol' tire.

What's your take on this?

I've got about 500 miles until warranty is up. Do they do a basic warranty checkup service, too?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Does the noise get louder or change pitch relative to the speed you are driving? If it does this than it may very well be a tire. Have you visually inspected the tires? Any damage?

Bearings usually make more of a grinding noise, and it should be affected by steering pinion angle. If you are moving and take a turn/turn the wheels the noise will be affected (either louder or softer)

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
When I took my car in for it's brakes a few weeks ago, they mentioned a recall on the right rear bearing being bad on '06 models. What he explained and what I've experienced in my Del Sol when a bearing when out, that sounds like your problem. Take it in to Honda, tell them to check the TSB's for '06 SIs and have it fixed. Do it now before you pass that 36,000 mile mark.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The noise gets louder as I go faster, yes.

I've looked over the tires as well as I can and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

I thought the same about the bearings. I took some hard turns to see if I could hear/feel a difference and got no results.

I'm really thinking it's a tire issue.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I took my car in for it's brakes a few weeks ago, they mentioned a recall on the right rear bearing being bad on '06 models. What he explained and what I've experienced in my Del Sol when a bearing when out, that sounds like your problem. Take it in to Honda, tell them to check the TSB's for '06 SIs and have it fixed. Do it now before you pass that 36,000 mile mark.
no Si.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
get your car looked at for the recall about the bearing (it effects cars besides the SI). but this is probably just your tires.
if this is the first time you have rotated your tires since you got the car, it is definatly them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had a bad wheel bearing in my old GSR and it was a slight hum that progressivle got louder. This is something that i would definately get checked out since there was a major recall on the rear bearings of the 06+ civics.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone have a link to this recall info?

Edit: Found it. It effects vin #'s starting with "2HFG...". Mine starts with "1HFG..."

·
Registered
626 Posts
Does his mileage really matter if its a safety recall? I thought they were always valid. I know the key phrase saying that the wheels may fall off "increasing the risk of an accident" freaked me out when i read the notice. ha ha ha i dont know about you but i would consider the wheels falling off an accident in its own right

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
That I did not know. I've only had one car stateside that was over the warranty but I only drove it for 2 months. This car will be a first for me I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts