8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my 2007 civic EX 42 or so days ago. I originally went in there for a FIT but the dealer swindled me due to the fact they told me to come in for a car that was not there. Anyways I have had some horrible experiences with my insurance company (recommended from the dealer) and was promised some things from the dealer that they could not do. So I went to another dealer (Hyundai) to inquire about trading my 27k mile car (awesome condition) for a Genesis coupe. After all the necessary calls I found out that I would be out almost 10k if I traded my car in. My car came out to 17,995 almost 20k with finance and all the dealer could do is give me 9,765 for my car! WTF! This dealer was a Hyundai/Honda dealer as well.:eek:mg:

·
Registered
456 Posts
From the research I have been doing your car was only worth around 14-15 when you bought it anyway and the trade in should have been right around 12 maybe closer to 10 is what I have seen.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
3 year old car selling for 18k is pretty high already, even if it only has 27k miles on it. Just by going to honda website a new ex goes for $19,455. So sorry to say but you got taken on that used car.

But why turn that mistake into another one? You've had the car for less than 2 months and now you want to take another hit by trading it in? Overpaying for the EX in the long run isn't going to make that much difference but trading in your new to you car is not a good idea.

BTW your car didn't "depreciate" 10k. 9,765 is just what the dealer wants to give you. That isn't reflective of what the car is worth.

You need to figure out what you really want, and bring someone that is sensible to stop you from making rash decisions. The dealer didn't swindle you into buying an EX instead of a fit because you had the choice to walk away.

·
Banned
4,871 Posts
i can see compromising on a red fit vs a white one..but going in for a fit and leaving with an EX civic?!

im gonna go to ford looking for a GT Stang and leave with my new Transit

sorry, but this ones on you OP

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
car didn't depreciate 10k.... you got SWINDLED buying a 3 yr old car for 18k when you should have paid 14-15...

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
OP, sorry you overpaid for your car.

you car currently sells for about $16k retail, from a dealer.
you got slightly lowballed with that trade in offer, but you also paid too much for your car.

and $17.9k - 9.7k is about $8k, not 10.
cant expect to break even when buying from a dealer and trading a car in to a dealer. it never happens.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Doing simple things like RESEARCH can help you from being unprepared and making terrible choices..

1.) Buying car you don't want
2.) paying 3-4k more than you should have for car you didn't want
3.) deciding to immediately trade in car you didn't want and substantially overpaid for
4.) trading in car at dealership for a car you didn't want, overpaid for, and decided to take an immeidate financial hit for.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
:word: wtf is this dealership insurance?
you left EVERYTHING up to the dealer and expected to not loose alot of money and it to all work out?
you didnt have insurance on your last car you could of carried over?

·
Registered
760 Posts
OP you got owned in every aspect.

You should have never bought a car you didnt want, why not walk out of the dealership and find the Fit that you wanted.

You definitely overpaid 18,000 for a 2007 civic EX? I bought my SI new for 19,200.

Next time do your research, best advise would be just keep the car or sell privately. Either way you are getting the short end of the stick.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
OP you got owned in every aspect.

You should have never bought a car you didnt want, why not walk out of the dealership and find the Fit that you wanted.

You definitely overpaid 18,000 for a 2007 civic EX? I bought my SI new for 19,200.

Next time do your research, best advise would be just keep the car or sell privately. Either way you are getting the short end of the stick.
This.

·
Registered
667 Posts
20k for a used civic? Jesus, me and my dad managed to find him just a week ago a 2007 ex coupe for less than 12k, we drove home with it like 2 days after. What you got was definitely a :facepalm: deal.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Ouch.. I paid 18k for my 2008 SI with 6k miles on it..... 2 years ago! You need to do research... Hope you learned a lesson, and get your flame suit on because class is in session haha..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh trust me I know...My last car was under my parents and I would have still have it if someone else didn't steal it. The dealer took my deposit for a FIT on a saturday and sold it between that Sunday or Monday. I had to come in on tuesday to buy it and it was not there. I was desperate for a car and the Dealer got me. I know I could have walked out but after two weeks of trying to buy a car and getting nowhere I purchased the Civic. I don't regret buying a Civic I just regret buying the car for that price. The Insurance was decided due to the fact that the major companies were quoting me 300-400 per month! This company is local and gave me the lowest quote. The issue that I have with them is that I have to pay through a broker and pay an extra fee to do so.

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
Oh trust me I know...My last car was under my parents and I would have still have it if someone else didn't steal it. The dealer took my deposit for a FIT on a saturday and sold it between that Sunday or Monday. I had to come in on tuesday to buy it and it was not there. I was desperate for a car and the Dealer got me. I know I could have walked out but after two weeks of trying to buy a car and getting nowhere I purchased the Civic. I don't regret buying a Civic I just regret buying the car for that price. The Insurance was decided due to the fact that the major companies were quoting me 300-400 per month! This company is local and gave me the lowest quote. The issue that I have with them is that I have to pay through a broker and pay an extra fee to do so.
which means you're probably still paying 300-400 a month with their insurance + dealer.

1) Got your old car stolen
2) Bought a car you didn't want
3) Bought said car for a few grand over its actual price

OP...your life sucks:facepalm:...Hopefully it all turns out well.

Might as well just trade it in again for an Si. You'll be more in debt but at least the :vtec: will make it all go away for that short period of time! :wheee: :dancing:

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts