8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Automatic 2008 Civic EX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey a couple of weeks ago I installed an aftermarket radio and rearview camera. A red light came on the dash but I didn’t pay it no mind. My car was fine until last week when it just wouldn’t start. Got a new battery, checked spark with inline spark tester, fuel pressure and engine compression is fine. Car starts for roughly 1-2 seconds after spraying some starting fluid inside air intake. Before I undo everything I did, has anyone seen something similar, Can anyone help?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Which red light came onto the dash and is it still present? Have you run an diagnosis to check if any code is tripped which might lead you closer to the problem?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey a couple of weeks ago I installed an aftermarket radio and rearview camera. A red light came on the dash but I didn’t pay it no mind. My car was fine until last week when it just wouldn’t start. Got a new battery, checked spark with inline spark tester, fuel pressure and engine compression is fine. Car starts for roughly 1-2 seconds after spraying some starting fluid inside air intake. Before I undo everything I did, has anyone seen something similar, Can anyone help?
One of the red lights on the dash the is battery symbol and the other prominent one is the brake fluid/handbrake warning. And most probably the battery warning light could be one you saw. Since you changed the battery, have you got the alternator checked before swapping in the new battery?

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is not likely the answer in your case but one thing I have run into on a 2000 Bonneville and my 1995 Corolla is the crank position sensor going bad. In neither case did it even throw any codes. I would not replace it just to be "guessing" but sometimes weird stuff like that happens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Battery symbol on after the car starts means a bad alternator not a bad battery. Once the car is run the alternator should supply all of the energy required, the battery only acting as a buffer, so if the light stays on especially without any headlights on, or AC, or anything like that the alternator is broken, or any connection from it to the battery.

·
Registered
Automatic 2008 Civic EX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey guys thanks for your input, I thought I had replied a few days ago😂. Car started! I did the following: I noticed that I hadn’t connected the cable that went to the antenna so connected it. I ended up disconnecting backup camera I recently installed. Then car just started (left it on ON for 90 seconds before cranking it). It ran a bit rough but other than that it didn’t stall and it started a few times afterwards! So, will be monitoring the next few days. What do you think could’ve happened?

The red light was the security system indicator. Will check for it next time.

·
Registered
Automatic 2008 Civic EX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is not likely the answer in your case but one thing I have run into on a 2000 Bonneville and my 1995 Corolla is the crank position sensor going bad. In neither case did it even throw any codes. I would not replace it just to be "guessing" but sometimes weird stuff like that happens.
Hey man that’s what mechanics usually say, if it happens again and unrelated to this, I’ll def check that first

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey guys thanks for your input, I thought I had replied a few days ago😂. Car started! I did the following: I noticed that I hadn’t connected the cable that went to the antenna so connected it. I ended up disconnecting backup camera I recently installed. Then car just started (left it on ON for 90 seconds before cranking it). It ran a bit rough but other than that it didn’t stall and it started a few times afterwards! So, will be monitoring the next few days. What do you think could’ve happened?

To be honest I have no idea.:( Have you left the car on for 90s before cranking before? If not, then you did 3 changes and now the car works but you can't know which one is the culprit. It's good to try to isolate these things in order to pinpoint which might cause a problem.;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
My knee-jerk guess would be that camera.
When you say antenna wire, I assume for the radio? I don't know how that could possibly interfere with the charging nor starting system.
I would say make sure the reverse cam was wired correctly. Was it connected to an "always hot" wire? That could drain the battery.

Hey man that’s what mechanics usually say, if it happens again and unrelated to this, I’ll def check that first
Replacing them can vary in difficulty, it looks like the gen 8 civic is fairly easy and fortunately, not too expensive for the part.
Of course when replacing anything, do your best to make sure it is the culprit.
Basically you have to get under the car, remove a small heat shield, remove a 10 mm bolt holding in the sensor, and carefully remove the sensor, I seen it recommended to leave the wire connected so you have something to grip when pulling the sensor. Not sure how I feel about pulling it out by the wires...

Not that this matters but let me tell you what I had to do on the 2000 Bonneville - Jack up the passenger side, remove the wheel, remove inner splash guards, remove serpentine belt, remove the crank pulley bolt using an impact gun, remove pulley using a puller. Replacing the sensor itself was easy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey guys thanks for your input, I thought I had replied a few days ago. Car started! I did the following: I noticed that I hadn’t connected the cable that went to the antenna so connected it. I ended up disconnecting backup camera I recently installed. Then car just started (left it on ON for 90 seconds before cranking it). It ran a bit rough but other than that it didn’t stall and it started a few times afterwards! So, will be monitoring the next few days. What do you think could’ve happened?

I'm not sure if the antenna or the camera wiring could be the culprit unless the battery connection to both them was grounding at the disconnected points and leaking battery power.

And you said that the car did start a few times but was rough. How was it to drive?

Try to do a scan to check how the timing is. If it is off then you have somewhere to start.

·
Registered
Automatic 2008 Civic EX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My knee-jerk guess would be that camera.
When you say antenna wire, I assume for the radio? I don't know how that could possibly interfere with the charging nor starting system.
I would say make sure the reverse cam was wired correctly. Was it connected to an "always hot" wire? That could drain the battery.

Replacing them can vary in difficulty, it looks like the gen 8 civic is fairly easy and fortunately, not too expensive for the part.
Of course when replacing anything, do your best to make sure it is the culprit.
Basically you have to get under the car, remove a small heat shield, remove a 10 mm bolt holding in the sensor, and carefully remove the sensor, I seen it recommended to leave the wire connected so you have something to grip when pulling the sensor. Not sure how I feel about pulling it out by the wires...

Not that this matters but let me tell you what I had to do on the 2000 Bonneville - Jack up the passenger side, remove the wheel, remove inner splash guards, remove serpentine belt, remove the crank pulley bolt using an impact gun, remove pulley using a puller. Replacing the sensor itself was easy.
The wire was attached to antenna cable but the antenna itself was plugged in. I looked up the sensor and with a little maneuvering you could get it out without taking anything apart. The 1AAuto video has good instructions on it. And Camera was drawing power from reverse light (and grounded to it). I’ll keep an eye on the camera once I re-install it.

I'm not sure if the antenna or the camera wiring could be the culprit unless the battery connection to both them was grounding at the disconnected points and leaking battery power.

And you said that the car did start a few times but was rough. How was it to drive?

Try to do a scan to check how the timing is. If it is off then you have somewhere to start.

The car so far is driving fine so far, but I’ll check the timing as well. Do you do it with any OBD2 scanner?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I never had this issue when I wired in my aftermarket touchpad in my 09’ civic, but since it happened after you did the radio install, it could be a blown a fuse. If there are any loose sites that can be shortening out the battery (which could been the cause if not tying them down And over the couple days that you have been driving they could of rubbed against meal resulting in a possible short out), so the next time you go and start the car it won't turn over. However it could also be numerous other problems such as a batter (which seems like you have replaced), dirty battery terminals, bad alternator or a worn starter motor, bad ignition system or worst case scenario, something could be wrong with the engine itself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I never had this issue when I wired in my aftermarket touchpad in my 09’ civic, but since it happened after you did the radio install, it could be a blown a fuse. If there are any loose sites that can be shortening out the battery (which could been the cause if not tying them down And over the couple days that you have been driving they could of rubbed against meal resulting in a possible short out), so the next time you go and start the car it won't turn over. However it could also be numerous other problems such as a batter (which seems like you have replaced), dirty battery terminals, bad alternator or a worn starter motor, bad ignition system or worst case scenario, something could be wrong with the engine itself.
Just saw that you may have fixed the Issue?

·
Registered
229 Posts
The wire was attached to antenna cable but the antenna itself was plugged in. I looked up the sensor and with a little maneuvering you could get it out without taking anything apart. The 1AAuto video has good instructions on it. And Camera was drawing power from reverse light (and grounded to it). I’ll keep an eye on the camera once I re-install it.

The car so far is driving fine so far, but I’ll check the timing as well. Do you do it with any OBD2 scanner?
Yes. It can be scanned with a OBD2 scanner. Also a vacuum leak or a dirty EGR valve also cause rough idle. These dont throw a code.

·
Registered
Automatic 2008 Civic EX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just saw that you may have fixed the Issue?
Yes! car’s starting just fine now. But I re-connected camera and it’s not coming on. Double checked all connections and checked camera with multimeter and there’s 12v going to it. Could the camera or bad wiring behind the radio cause all that?

Yes. It can be scanned with a OBD2 scanner. Also a vacuum leak or a dirty EGR valve also cause rough idle. These dont throw a code.

I’ll check that next thank you

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes! car’s starting just fine now. But I re-connected camera and it’s not coming on. Double checked all connections and checked camera with multimeter and there’s 12v going to it. Could the camera or bad wiring behind the radio cause all that?

I’ll check that next thank you
Since you connected the camera to the reverse lights, are they switching on when you shift into reverse? Also recheck the polarity of the connection.

·
Registered
Automatic 2008 Civic EX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since you connected the camera to the reverse lights, are they switching on when you shift into reverse? Also recheck the polarity of the connection.

Yea the reverse lights come on. BTW, I clipped the wires and just tied them up, didn’t solder like last time-would that somehow cause the power to be too weak to activate the backup camera on the monitor? And would speaker wires be too thick? I’m thinking of running a separate “trigger wire” for camera. I know I got a lot of questions 😳 I’m real new and trying to figure all this stuff out!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yea the reverse lights come on. BTW, I clipped the wires and just tied them up, didn’t solder like last time-would that somehow cause the power to be too weak to activate the backup camera on the monitor? And would speaker wires be too thick? I’m thinking of running a separate “trigger wire” for camera. I know I got a lot of questions I’m real new and trying to figure all this stuff out!
If you bind the wires by twisting them together tightly and cover them up using a good insulation tape, that should be good enough. Unlike the lights, stereo and other big electrical components, the reverse camera draws very little power in comparison.

If the camera's connection is not a pin type socket but just loose wires, reverse the connecting wires and check if the camera is working. The electronic components dont work when the polarity is reversed.

And speaker wires are generally thicker than the other electrical wires as thicker wires offer lesser resistance and improve sound clarity.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts