8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I'm finally going to get my Civic next month, and I've decided on an RR Coupe. My new workplace doesn't have a parking garage--every car sits out in the sun all day, and I'm concerned about what that will do to the bright red paint. There's also unfortunately no room in my garage, so the car will almost always be outdoors. Who knew an '08 Civic plus an '03 Corolla (or even a '99 Corolla) would just be too wide!

Is a car cover worth the money (looks like it's about $170 for the OEM cover or something similar from California Car Cover)? Is it worth the annoyance of having to put on/take off the cover? I live in California, so I'm not all that concerned about rain protection (though if it prevents me from having to scrape the ice off for a few winter mornings, that would be nice).

Has anyone noticed fading problems with the RR paint?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I have heard that when it rains water still get underneath or the car sweats and leaves streaks all over your car. Then your cover smells like mildew and moldy.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I own a car cover for my car... a $20 one from Wal-Mart. They are correct, rain does get under it and go through it (not a ton) but it also does hold out snow and ice pretty well. I think it was worth the $20.00. Not too hard to put on, really easy to take off. Hardest part is getting two bungee cords connected and sliding it underneath the car to hold the cover down.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
I have a HRP and my I got an OEM cover for it. It works really good when the car is clean and you want to keep it clean. Its not so good when it rains Hard. But over all im happy with it, it is washable also.It has a strech material at the bottom to hold its self, and diff material on the muffler section so the muffler does not burn the cover. IM getting rid of my coupe if you want to buy my cover ill give it to you for a good price let me know

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have a HRP and my I got an OEM cover for it. It works really good when the car is clean and you want to keep it clean. Its not so good when it rains Hard. But over all im happy with it, it is washable also.It has a strech material at the bottom to hold its self, and diff material on the muffler section so the muffler does not burn the cover. IM getting rid of my coupe if you want to buy my cover ill give it to you for a good price let me know
Price??

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have the oem cover. It's nice and fits the civic like a glove. It's not supposed to be water proof. It's has to breath. If it doesnt breath and water get under neath it wont dry and that is not good. I can cover or uncover the car and stow the cover in about 30 seconds. I wouldnt get a cheap cover it will f up your paint. Do yourself a favor and get the Honda cover. I think college hills a sponsor here has it for 170. I think I paid 200.

·
Registered
463 Posts
california car cover has many different types of protection offered in there covers. You are gonna pay more for sure but i had an expensive one for my old vette and it was awesome car only got slightly wet but the material had breathable inside liners to help prevent mildew and mold. I paid like 300 for it though. i use to just take it off after a heavy rain had passed and let it dry and let the car breath.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
It looks like I'm finally going to get my Civic next month, and I've decided on an RR Coupe. My new workplace doesn't have a parking garage--every car sits out in the sun all day, and I'm concerned about what that will do to the bright red paint. There's also unfortunately no room in my garage, so the car will almost always be outdoors. Who knew an '08 Civic plus an '03 Corolla (or even a '99 Corolla) would just be too wide!

Is a car cover worth the money (looks like it's about $170 for the OEM cover or something similar from California Car Cover)? Is it worth the annoyance of having to put on/take off the cover? I live in California, so I'm not all that concerned about rain protection (though if it prevents me from having to scrape the ice off for a few winter mornings, that would be nice).

Has anyone noticed fading problems with the RR paint?

Thanks!
I have two thoughts on car covers as I have used them since the mid 1970's. I had a 1987 Tornado Red VW Scirocco 16v for 18 years. Your concerns are what exactly motivated me to cover my car every day at work as it sat outside in the elements.

First the pros. A car cover will protect your paint from the sun as well as keeping dust and bird poop as well as airborne contaminants off your paint. Also, your interior will stay in great condition because none of the materials is exposed to the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun. When I sold my 16v Scirocco, the paint looked almost as good as it did the day I took delivery of it. There was absolutely no fading of the paint when I sold it.

Now the cons. Use of my car cover caused lots of scratches in my paint. Yes, they can be rubbed out, but there were lots of scratches nonetheless. Over time, the paint on my mirrors began to wear away from the constant use of the cover. Because I had a car cover on, one day a thief broke into my car and used my cover to conceal himself as he took my stereo and amps. If your car is the least bit dusty or dirty when you park it at work, that dust or dirt will get into the cover when you put it on and will cause scratches or swirls in your paint. Additionally, if it rains out while you are at work, your cover will be soaking wet when you put it in your car. I know, it happened to me many times.

Car covers for me are great on a clean car sitting in a garage for a prolonged period of time. I just can't bring myself to putting a car cover on my Fiji Blue Pearl Si. I wax and seal my car all the time, so the protection is there without the hassle of swirls and scratches. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
Hmm... if there's a waterproof car cover for our car I may consider getting one. My car will be without a garage for the next 1.5 years, so I definitely want one. The cover being wet won't be a huge deal with my trunk tray.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts