8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
If I remember right I think this is a re-post. I think we all bitched this one to death because they gave the Mustang V6 first place.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Gaspar_06_Civic_EX said:
15k for an Lx civic? Where...
I paid $16,700 OTD for my 07 LX sedan that's like $15,300 invoice...

This thing is BS I have the July 2007 Motor Trend and they show the civic in 1st place out of the (Sentra, Maszda 3, and Corolla)... oh yeah and that's a repost!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Not a slam, just the truth !!!!

The article was "quickest" for under $20,000. I looked at the times listed for all ten cars and they, if correct, are true to the title of the article. As to the first place V6 Mustang, I had an 05 V6 Mustang and it will run circles around my 06 EX Coupe as far as engine performance. That is the only thing that will beat my Honda. Gas mileage with my Honda around town is improved by a minimum of 12 MPG. The sound system of my EX is far superior to "top of the line Ford product". The Mustang is no match for the Honda's handling. After spending about $2,500 on the Mustang ( struts/shocks/springs, frame stiffing, rear upper/lower swing arms, strut tower brace, front/rear tie bars, and larger tires) it only took the $600 for the HFP sport suspension to improve my handling to match the Mustang. Got to love that. The only thing about the article is that I agree with is the various "noises"....JMHO

·
Registered
12,582 Posts
Jay Kincannon said:
The article was "quickest" for under $20,000. I looked at the times listed for all ten cars and they, if correct, are true to the title of the article. As to the first place V6 Mustang, I had an 05 V6 Mustang and it will run circles around my 06 EX Coupe as far as engine performance. That is the only thing that will beat my Honda. Gas mileage with my Honda around town is improved by a minimum of 12 MPG. The sound system of my EX is far superior to "top of the line Ford product". The Mustang is no match for the Honda's handling. After spending about $2,500 on the Mustang ( struts/shocks/springs, frame stiffing, rear upper/lower swing arms, strut tower brace, front/rear tie bars, and larger tires) it only took the $600 for the HFP sport suspension to improve my handling to match the Mustang. Got to love that. The only thing about the article is that I agree with is the various "noises"....JMHO
:thumb: perfect analysis

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
"Crisp handling. Steering that involves you with road textures while isolating you from kickback. Fit and finish that no manufacturer can top at this price. And C/D-observed fuel economy of 33 mpg—amazing for an engine we were endlessly zinging to its 6800-rpm redline."

33mpg + is why I bought it.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
"one very un-Honda-like trait: noise. At wide-open throttle, our Civic made more racket than all but one in that group. And at idle, it was noisier than all of them. Honda’s NVH engineers need to retake their Civics exam."

I thought my EX was noisy. Terrible on the large up Hills that require downshift to 3rd!!!! I installed a catback exaust and it actually made the car not so noisy from the engine.

I've been driving a rental Hyandi accent and beating the heck out of it. Even it is more quite.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think some of u guys got this all mixed up, The ford mustang v6, will out run our cars, 0-60, quartermile, slalom, lateral grip, looks, sounds, and the mach500 stereo is about 3x better then any premium stereo in any civic ever. and the mustang even has a mach1000 stereo as a option(which is better)
The only thing the civic has it beat on is,Reliabiltiy, buying price, and of course fuel milage. Quality control isnt so great on the 8th gens, just read the forums about 3rd gears, low class interior panals, road noise,
But to sum it all up, the little V6 4.0L mustang is enough to run with the Big dogg civic SI!
And dont underestimate the handling of the GT, it ll run circles around any civic not wearing a SI badge, and even then its not far off race.
haha, i own a 07DXG, and my brother has a 06 Mustang GT.
no comparisions.
But i love getting 5-600KMS on 50 L of gas and having a car that i can honestly be proud of for the years to come.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
pks17 said:
I think some of u guys got this all mixed up, The ford mustang v6, will out run our cars, 0-60, quartermile, slalom, lateral grip, looks,''The only thing the civic has it beat on is,Reliabiltiy, buying price, and of course fuel milage. Quality control isnt so great on the 8th gens, just read the forums about 3rd gears, low class interior panals, road noise,
But to sum it all up, the little V6 4.0L mustang is enough to run with the Big dogg civic SI!
And dont underestimate the handling of the GT, it ll run circles around any civic not wearing a SI badge,...

Car and Driver has the same skid grip for the v6stang and the Civic. That is with stock crappy economy tires. The light weight civic with better tires and 100.00 worth of SI springs will outhandle the heavy mustang.

The v6 mustang does look good. But its not a V8. So it defeats the point of driving a mustang without a v8.

Comparing 4.0l to 1.8l is near sad. Imagine if Honda made the r18 in 2.4liters. It would have placed in the first place for speed and still near tops in MPG.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes , true, but we have to compare apples to apples, If you slapped on better tires and maybe GT springs on the pony, the story wouldnt change.
And the eighth gen civic is far from light weight. i think its listed at 2700, and we all know the real weight is very close to 3000lbs for a fully loaded EX.
And very true point about the v6 being a pointless car, i agree 100%. but lets face the facts, its still got the civic beat any way that involves moving. So with that being said, our civic may be the sad one when it comes to performance numbers.
Did you know that the newer 4.0 in the v6 stang has more power then the 1990s 5.0L had. And we all know how bad ass those are. No comparison!
And a honda with a 2.4 wouldnt run any better times then a TSX, which the V6 stang can out accerlerate anyday. Look at the stats.
our cars are meant only for MPG, relaiability, and a little bit of style(8th gen only)
Even the SIs are pretty lagging compared to cars in the 30K range.

·
Registered
12,582 Posts
pks17 said:
Yes , true, but we have to compare apples to apples, If you slapped on better tires and maybe GT springs on the pony, the story wouldnt change.
And the eighth gen civic is far from light weight. i think its listed at 2700, and we all know the real weight is very close to 3000lbs for a fully loaded EX.
And very true point about the v6 being a pointless car, i agree 100%. but lets face the facts, its still got the civic beat any way that involves moving. So with that being said, our civic may be the sad one when it comes to performance numbers.
Did you know that the newer 4.0 in the v6 stang has more power then the 1990s 5.0L had. And we all know how bad ass those are. No comparison!
And a honda with a 2.4 wouldnt run any better times then a TSX, which the V6 stang can out accerlerate anyday. Look at the stats.
our cars are meant only for MPG, relaiability, and a little bit of style(8th gen only)
Even the SIs are pretty lagging compared to cars in the 30K range.
1.8L vs 4.0L
I don't see that as comparing apples to apples. More like comparing a Watermelon to grapes.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
striker_1818 said:
1.8L vs 4.0L
I don't see that as comparing apples to apples. More like comparing a Watermelon to grapes.

1.8l 40mpg
4.0l 27mpg

And both cars had the Same skidforce rating.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
pks17 said:
. i agree 100%. but lets face the facts, its still got the civic beat any way that involves moving. So with that being said, our civic may be the sad one when it comes to performance numbers.
What are you talking about -- The facts are the Civic is one of the lightest cars sold today. Probably the lightest car of that test group. And by far way lighter than the Mustang.

Our civic is not a sad one on performance. It beat out two cars that had higher HP and Torque. Then look at the middle of the pack for that test group 87-89mph was the 1/4mile times. Then each place was .1 second quicker on the 0-60times. The Civic had all the cars beat by at least 6mpg. It beats the mustang by 12mpgs (one suv). So take away the 6cyl car and take away the Supercharged car - the Civic is running strong middle of the pack. I wish the testing had been done with better tires.

And your weight number are a bit high the car tested was 2700lbs verse the mustang at 3400lbs.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yah you have a point, take out the v6 and sc cars and the civic will be close to top of the pack. altima first for sure.
But in the real world , these are the cars that we share the roads with, and these are the cars directly in the same price ranges. however in my eyes , in terms of satifaction and owning a car, i would put civic no 1 for sure, then the accord, and the impreza 3rd.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Well for 16500.00 I could have bought a really nice used C43 AMG.

For 20k I bought my wife a ML430 with 9k miles on it. CPO with all options.
Even those v6 mustangs are a killer deal on the used market.

My main factor was 30-40mpg. As gas prices rise the value of my car to ME increases.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well I got rid of my 06 Civic EX Sedan, 5MT, w/Navi. Because it was a junker. I replaced it with the exact same Mazda3 as in the comparo. Right down to color and trim level.

A Civic R-18 can not touch it in driving ablitys. Except in fuel economy. And I miss the mpg's offered up by R-18 big time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts