8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the latest issue of car and driver in the mail. There was an article in there comparing the Si to the new GTi. However, in the end, the GTI came out on top.. both cars seemed excellent though.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
agreed- read it myself. It seems kind of crazy putting the SI against a boosted car with as much tq as the GTI had. And yet, it still did well in the test.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It didn't seem like a fair comparison. The SI they used for the testing was $23,000 and the GTI was $28,000. I'm sure Honda could've made the car a lot more "complete" as the magazine said for $5,000 more.

·
Registered
342 Posts
CiscoBoy said:
It didn't seem like a fair comparison. The SI they used for the testing was $23,000 and the GTI was $28,000. I'm sure Honda could've made the car a lot more "complete" as the magazine said for $5,000 more.
Lets say the gas price averages $2.75 per gallon over the next few years. For the cost of the GTI you can buy the Si and 54,000 miles worth of gas!!! :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I thought the comment on the volume knob was funny. Duh, thats why there is volume on the steering wheel! The test was nearly a tie with 215 points to 220 points. I find it interesting that the heavier car with the automatic won a sporty car test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I want to like the GTI but its a VW and VW build quality and service department will keep from owning another VW. I think if they factored in the build quality Honda would have got the win.

·
Registered
117 Posts
hurricane said:
I thought the comment on the volume knob was funny. Duh, thats why there is volume on the steering wheel! The test was nearly a tie with 215 points to 220 points. I find it interesting that the heavier car with the automatic won a sporty car test.
The DSG is one of the fastest transmissions on earth.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Agree with the comment on VW quality and service. I had a 2001 Audi S4. The rear Bose speaker developed a rattle so I took it in under warranty. When I picked up the car they said they had to pull the engine/tranny. WHAT :SHOCKED: The mechanic said he noticed a miss in the engine so he took the initiative and pulled the head and replaced it. Noone called me to ask if they could this. The car was never the same after that. In fact the power stearing went out on me and stranded me in New Orleans. We had quite a few issues with the car. What a great fun car though. I love twin-turbo V6's. Thats the problem. VW/Audi cars can be a blast and in my opinion have some of the best looking interiors but reliability is an issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts