8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my friend has a 2000 honda civic w/ rims, lowered, carbon fibre hood... that is parked beside my car every day at work. It was stolen this morning!!! broad daylight in an outdoor parking lot. Stupid people!!!

anyways it has scared me a little that they will be back for mine next. I am looking into getting a car alarm and was wanting to get some advice on what alarms are good. Does honda have a factory one? Any info on car alarms would help becuase i dont know much about them.

Thanks

·
Registered
706 Posts
Element63 said:
so my friend has a 2000 honda civic w/ rims, lowered, carbon fibre hood... that is parked beside my car every day at work. It was stolen this morning!!! broad daylight in an outdoor parking lot. Stupid people!!!

anyways it has scared me a little that they will be back for mine next. I am looking into getting a car alarm and was wanting to get some advice on what alarms are good. Does honda have a factory one? Any info on car alarms would help becuase i dont know much about them.

Thanks
You have a factory immobilizer but if they really want it they'll use a flatbed anyway.

·
Registered
953 Posts
You should look into an aftermarket alarm like Clifford 50.5x or Viper.

I got the Clifford one... shock sensor/auto start/keyless entry/1 mile range. good stuff.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Alarms help to deter theft, but like mentioned, if someone wants to really steal your car, they'll use a flat bed and at best your shock sensor will set off your alarm and your car will start making noise; maybe that'd be enough to alert you to something happening. With a 2 way paging system, your remote would start making noise if your alarm was tripped (provided you're within range, with some systems thats up to a mile)

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quality_sound said:
You have a factory immobilizer but if they really want it they'll use a flatbed anyway.
ya the immobilizer helps for stealing of the car.... but as far as breaking in. what are the car alarms that have the little key that vibrates when someone is trying to break in.... so then i can run out to my car and beat the person with a bat.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Element63 said:
ya the immobilizer helps for stealing of the car.... but as far as breaking in. what are the car alarms that have the little key that vibrates when someone is trying to break in.... so then i can run out to my car and beat the person with a bat.
Just look for a 2 way paging system. Truth be told I have a new in box Python 990 1 mile range alarm/remote start I'm trying to sell, it's in the for sale section if you're interested.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Element63 said:
you must be young to say something that stupid. you'd rather serve prison time for aggravated assault than call your insurance company and then possibly face a civil suit on top of that???

·
Registered
953 Posts
quality_sound said:
you must be young to say something that stupid. you'd rather serve prison time for aggravated assault that call your insurance company and then possibly face a civil suit on top of that???

LOL... sense of humor, maybe? If it was me, I rather go to jail by beating the face off someone than letting them steal my car! :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

·
Registered
706 Posts
RiceBowL54 said:
LOL... sense of humor, maybe? If it was me, I rather go to jail by beating the face off someone than letting them steal my car! :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

i didn't say jail did i? i said prison. BIIIIIIG difference. and if you'd rather give up your freedom than your car you have a VERY warped value system.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quality_sound said:
you must be young to say something that stupid. you'd rather serve prison time for aggravated assault than call your insurance company and then possibly face a civil suit on top of that???
no kidding sense of humor.... i didnt think i needed to type J/K at the end of what i said......

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
i gotta be honest. i think if I caught someone in the act of stealing my stuff, chances are that my anger issues would flare up and I'd be pulling a "waterboy" on someone.

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

·
Premium Member
41,908 Posts
I am running compustar in my ride, I had it installed about 2 months ago. Other then the occasional false alarms like at 3am this morning I love it.

I looked like a crazy woman running outside this morning with bat and rotti in hand to find no one out there. So I ended up walking my rotti until 4am since I couldn't sleep anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, in Texas you'd be OK beating the snot out of him (DISCLAIMER: This is NOT legal advice!):

§ 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in
lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is
justified in using force against another when and to the degree the
actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to
prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful
interference with the property.​

YMMV :biggrin:

·
Registered
706 Posts
DHolling said:
Well, in Texas you'd be OK beating the snot out of him (DISCLAIMER: This is NOT legal advice!):

§ 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in
lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is
justified in using force against another when and to the degree the
actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to
prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful
interference with the property.​

YMMV :biggrin:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "reasonably" isn't being beaten with a baseball bat. Call it a hunch.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Never bring a bat to a gun fight. Chances are pretty good the thief might be packing. Make sure you have your cell phone in your other hand already dialing 911 before you confront them.

·
Premium Member
41,908 Posts
I weight tops 110 pounds so bringing the bat protects me, my dog is just for show as he wouldn't hurt a fly unless he needed to.

most of the people doing break ins around my area are junkies, so if they had a gun they would be selling it for a fix and not trying to shoot people.

·
Registered
22 Posts
RiceBowL54 said:
You should look into an aftermarket alarm like Clifford 50.5x or Viper.

I got the Clifford one... shock sensor/auto start/keyless entry/1 mile range. good stuff.
wait you mean to tell me I can start up my car up to a mile away with the cliford matrix 50.5x?!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes, the Clifford 50.5x has a 1 mile range. I love mine because I can arm and disarm it from the 15th floor of my building but the car is all the way downstairs in a concrete parking garage. Pages alerting you of the alarm system also travel a mile so you can park it, walk quite a while, and still keep tabs on your car. I have mine way too sensitive right now, the shock sensor chirps if a mouse farts next to it.

Get the tilt sensor and that 'could' help deter "tow-truck using" mofos.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
anyone know where i can purchase this cliford alarm... i live in canada but would purchase it online if needed to.

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
It won't deter them because they have tow trucks so noone will think anything of it. It will alert you though that someone is messing with it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts