8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm driving down the highway at 70+ mph and I go to get off my exit and on the off ramp I go to shift into 5th and I can't....Then I try to go to 4th and that's locked out too... It wouldn't let me go into any gear. After almost panicking, I was finally able to get it into third after wiggling it around in neutral and pretty much forcing it in. Never had this issue before, I called Honda and they hadn't heard of it before either. The lady said they wouldn't be able to help me unless they could replicate it... this is the first time it happened to me so I doubt it will just magically happen while they're driving it.

Any ideas? It was raining a lot today, don't know if that could affect it at all. Doubt it, and I've been driving manual for about 4 years now, so I know how to shift...
:shrug:

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only a twm shift knob, nothing else. no short shifter, no cable bushings, no new linkage... all stock.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
maybe you got too excited for that vtek :giggle:

see if you can duplicate the problem, if it does it again, change the tranny fluid.

but if it does it again, then dealer is your answer.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe you got too excited for that vtek :giggle:

see if you can duplicate the problem, if it does it again, change the tranny fluid.

but if it does it again, then dealer is your answer.

maybe i will change the tranny fluid? whats that good stuff, isnt it like synchromesh or something?

thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Did you release and depress the clutch before trying to put into each gear or just held it down? If it only happened once, probably not a big deal. I had a 95 prelude that started doing that. When I tried to force it, it would just grind, then eventually got into a gear. It was intermittent at first, then happened more and more often. Clutch was shot (didn't know much about M/T's then, just that they were fun lol) and the car had about 160k on it, 40k mine. If it continues, start worrying.

What's the average life of a rarely abused clutch anyway?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP come on now brother....

you have over 2000 posts on 8th and you didnt read that prolly 90% of people on here have the same problem from time to time?
I've seen plenty of people with the third gear problem... ive had it myself on my first Si. Ive also heard about people having issues with 2nd. But point me to a thread where someone has had EVERY gearlock out at once.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you release and depress the clutch before trying to put into each gear or just held it down? If it only happened once, probably not a big deal. I had a 95 prelude that started doing that. When I tried to force it, it would just grind, then eventually got into a gear. It was intermittent at first, then happened more and more often. Clutch was shot (didn't know much about M/T's then, just that they were fun lol) and the car had about 160k on it, 40k mine. If it continues, start worrying.

What's the average life of a rarely abused clutch anyway?
the only problem is, i hope the clutch wouldnt be going at this point, there's only 25k on the car. The clutch still seems to engage pretty low in the pedal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
the only problem is, i hope the clutch wouldnt be going at this point, there's only 25k on the car. The clutch still seems to engage pretty low in the pedal.
my clutch went at 35k and when it went it was acting normal one min then just slippin even at low rpm. As for your problem if you know where your shift linkage is on the trans under the stock air box check there something could have got stuck in that area not lettin you move the shifter freely.

·
Registered
823 Posts
My guess is the clutch also. I can't imagine what would mechanically lock you out of gears. Only gear that comes close to that is reverse... but I haven't had one of these apart yet to see.
B

·
Registered
913 Posts
Are you trying to match engine speed with wheel speed when down shifting? (AKA blipping the throttle)

Try this: Clutch in, Shift to neutral, Clutch out, clutch back in while blipping throttle, if you get it at the right RPM's you should be able to slide right into the lower gear like butter. takes a little practice.

As a great man once said: "Granny shifting, not double clutching when you should."
-Vin Diesel, Fast and the Furious
:usa:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts