8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Can't get insurance because of my household

2K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  mikey 
#1 ·
So my current insurance has been cancelled because my sister was charged with impaired driving, not convicted yet, but charged and insurance company cancelled.

Well now I cant get regular insurance because I live in the same house with her? I'm told I have to start looking at high risk insurance? What the hell is that. I have to suffer the consequences of her actions?

Someone with knowledge on insurance companies give me some answers. And dont say go change your drivers license address because I've already heard that.

#5 ·
tell them that you pay rent and your address is "100 somewhere st UNIT A", also mention that there is a lock on your door with only 1 key....

they did the same **** to me, saying that everyone in my household was able to drive my car.....no one drives my SI except me....

try that out........sorry about your luck tho..

#6 · (Edited)
so is this in the States or Canada???
According to this site,InsuranceHotline.com - auto trader broker Canadian auto insurance free auto insurance quote property insurance quotes term life insurance quote consumer guide auto term life insurance policy Canadian insurance rates canadian car insurance...it's looking like you will have to find your own insurance company. Your sister is probably on the same policy as you. Also, are you sure she didn't take your car out? From what I understand with this site, she's would be listed as a secondary driver on YOUR car. You need to have her compensate for the bullshit she's putting you thru!! I really think there has to be a loophole...I just don't know what or how.

#7 ·
nope

i used to think the same way..
here's my story hope it helps
i've been paying over 360$ a month for my RSX-S insurance.. and im over 25 no tickets... at first my broker keeps telling me this is the cheapest i can get.. when other ppl are getting 100$-200$

anyway..long story short, i shopped around n found out b/c of my younger brother, he is automatically added to the policy due to being in the same household, so I have to get him to sign this form proving he doesn't drive my car.. and voila, my insurance rate dropped significantly.

don't trust what the stupid broker tell u, most of them like to rip u off.

#11 ·
is your sister name in your policy? if yes, you're looking at high risk insurance.
there is one way you can do, but her name as excluded driver in your policy.
You may get cheaper. it's mean your sister can not drive your car, if she does and have a accident, your insurance will void
I may be wrong but that's what I think
hope this help

#15 ·
hehe i heard this one before..... my friend is really retarded had a prelude got drunk smashed it, insurance wrote it off... then raised his households insurance due to his actions and his parents didn't like that... so they made him sign a letter to the insurance company stating he will not driving the parents vehicle and that was that!

#18 ·
Ditto on that... I did the same thing when I bought my second car and still lived @ home with 2 younger brothers (one 18 one 16), they wanted to make one of them a primary driver on my new car and charge me $4k/year. I just had them both sign affidavits saying that neither of them could ever drive either of my cars. Worked for me, I didn't want them touching them anyway. If they did I had to report it stolen.

#19 ·
Agreed, I currently work for an insurance company and that's exactly what you would have to do, in fact your parents should do the same.

She has to sign an endorsement stating that she will no longer drive any other vehicles in the household except for her own, now realize that if something happens and she acually is driving one of the other household vehicles she has no coverage at all on the vehicle, and she is technically driving with no insurance.

Worked for me, I didn't want them touching them anyway. If they did I had to report it stolen.
Not only do you have to report it stolen, you'd actually have to press charges.

This works if you have all perils coverage, which most people actually don't, it's usually just a combination of collission and comp, because the only different between that and all perils is if someone in your household steals your vehicle, and you'd be paying extra for that.

#20 ·
i would recommend on trying another insurance and not reporting her into the household. now if she appears on the record then your pretty much screw. that works sometimes you know when you report everyone in the household they keep record of that, when you go thru another insurance they will have to do it again and just dont report her. i can tell you alot of stories abt insurances and how they work. im not an expert on it but i tell ya i pay $500 for 6 months to geico and im 21... totaled a car years ago w/ no licence :p and yeah thats still in the record. I have Tricks under my wrist... my sister is turning soon 16 so i reported her into the household with my dad and mom. so now they call me every now and then to check if she got her permit. you see what i mean? IF she does my policy will go up. so im planning on changing my insurance and not report her BUT you have to read your policy. When i totaled my dads car we had Nation Wide and i was automatically cover because when you read your policy closely it clearly states: Friends And Family OR other 2nd party members are covers WHICH in this case it was me.
last but not least this is risky though... my ghetto uncle has 6 cars. each car is designated to different driver but he claims all of them to be driven by him and he pays like a grand for 6 months. also the vehicles are really old but anyways my point is that all these cars are driven by my other relatives and they dont live with my uncle. IF they were to have a car accident they are automatically cover which btw that already has happened.

Officer: license and registration
Cousin: Here it is
Officer: this isnt your car and your not registered in it
Cousin: its my uncles i went to pick up (make up something)
Officer: Ok your free to go.

thats how it happened you just gotta know how to follow the flow. and if you ask this to a insurance person they will prolly tell you this is all a lie and they indivitually have to have their own policy and such so they can leech more money off you. just read your policy all the way and you will find all the tricks you can use to backfire the money that your paying $$$ a months. thats what i did and hey...... i was estimated to pay over 2G 6th months but i found this tips within my policy and other experience and now i just pay $500 for 6 months. hard to believe but believe me. good luck sir!

#21 ·
Yeah that's how it may work in the States, and maybe you can skim your way through. But as long as your driver's licence address is the same as the address on the vehicle policy, that means taht you live in the same hosuehold, and every driver in the household has to be on the auto policy.

And your situation has to do with a police officer pulling you over and potentially giving you a ticket, that's not a bad situation. How about in a situation if you get into a car accident and injure someone, with no coverage then you are completely responsible for all damages to your vehicle and if they decide to sue you, you have no liability coverage at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.