8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to improve the low end of the stock "Premium Sound" in my 07 Si Sedan. I've read through everything about adding an aftermarket amp/subwoofer to the stock setup- so I know everything that I will need for each setup. I want to run 8awg wire for the power wire.

I want a bit more bump that factory, but I'm really just going for a more SQ oriented setup here. In the past I've had 2x12" Type R 12s with ~1400w in a sealed box. This is WAY more power than I am wanting, and I'd really like to stick to 8awg power wire. I'd like to hear everyones opinions on how much more bass I will have with these three scenarios:

#1: Replace factory subwoofer with 8" model that fits in the opening. I've read about a few different models here, but haven't done much research on them. Probably go with the Alpine MRP-M450 400w 2ohm Class D amp here. I've never had a free air sub before, but I'd think since the cone actually faces into the cabin that the output might be a bit better than I'd imagine. I've never had an 8" woofer before

#2: Unplug Factory woofer and install 10" woofer (probably Alpine Type-R 10", maybe something a bit beefier) in a sealed box in the trunk. Again, would probably use a MRP 400 or 600w Alpine amp. I've never had a 10" woofer before.

#3: Same as above. Use the 600w Alpine amp (MRP-M6xx) and a single Type R 12" woofer. I've had 2 of these before with twice the wattage and they got stupidly loud. That was when I was younger, and it was a different car.

A part of me wants to get a smaller 8" woofer and replace the stock sub with the 400w amp and test it. If it isn't enough I would sell the subwoofer and buy the 10" woofer and build a sealed enclosure for it. This would cost a bit more than just going with the 10" woofer right off the bat, assuming I would take a small loss when selling the 8" woofer.

Please post some comments on replacing the 8" woofer and the bass output vs. a single 10/12" in a sealed enclosure in the trunk. Thanks!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
It does get pretty loud but not thumping loud because it is a free air, I need to put some sound deadening on the rear deck beacuse it rattles at higher volumes. I made a spacer with 1/4" ply using the original sub as a template to get the bolt mounting points, I bolted the spacer into the original sub location, then I screwed the sub onto the spacer, I also covered the spacer with some gray colored felt which also acted as a bit of a sound barrier too. I guess you can use MDF but I didn't find any so I just bought the ply instead. I used hex head bolts instead of the original sub bolts to hold down the spacer because the original bolt heads were too big and got in the way of the sub fitment.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I'd say a single 10" will be what you want. 400w free air on any driver (except something huge like an IDMax) is way more power than you'll ever need. Typically you can half the RMS power of a driver when run Infinite Baffle. With that said, get a shallow mount 10" and put it under the rear deck with a custom box built around it or run it IB. Elemental designs has a shallow 10" that works IB and you'd only need 1-200w of power.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have a 10" Kicker CompVR sub in the truck being run by a 600 watt kicker amp with the gain only turned up half way since the amp is actually rated at close to 800 watts, and it's perfect.

FYI 10" subs offer a much cleaner bass than 12" subs. I listen to mostly rock music and am very happy with my set up.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 10" Kicker CompVR sub in the truck being run by a 600 watt kicker amp with the gain only turned up half way since the amp is actually rated at close to 800 watts, and it's perfect.

FYI 10" subs offer a much cleaner bass than 12" subs. I listen to mostly rock music and am very happy with my set up.
My first subs were 2 x 12" CompVRs. I only fed them 400 watts (Class AB Phoenix Gold amp lol) and they got pretty loud.

Hmmm, I am starting to think a lot about this now :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking around online, I can pick up a 10" Type-R and a MRP-M450 (400w x 1 @ 2ohm) for ~$250 shipped. This seems like a pretty decent deal to me.

Figure another $50 for a box / amp kit...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Alright just making sure.. it was a great alternative to me.. didn't take up much space at all, all I had to do was turn the box to the left and i still had over half the trunk of free space. The 10" was louder than most people with 2 12's, its all dependant on install, that box costed $130 alone. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.