8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you modify a Hybrid civic like any other civic, or are there special considerations you need to take into account? What are those special considerations? (i.e. battery wieght when doing suspension?)

I'm sure aftermarket company's won't neccessarily advertise a lot of parts for the hybrid, but can you use regular new Civic sedan parts for the hybrid?

I'm assuming bolt on's would have the same affect on a hybrid as they would on a standard gas engine?

Any clarity would be great....THANK YOU:wavey:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,272 Posts
Why would you want to mod a hybrid? I can understand modding a Si, even a GX/LX/EX. But why a hybrid? Unless your talking about cosmetic upgrades...

You bought it for crazy gas mileage and to save the earth, not to mod it.

My two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Sure you can mod...just be careful not to mod in ways to kill your mpg. (ie heavy wheels and bigger tires)

Here's what I have done.... http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50175

Turns out that lowering the car made my mpg go up...I now get 50mpg consistenly with my mixed city and highway commute.

The car is a lot more fun through the twisties now...a lot less tire squeal.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,094 Posts
I would say you can mod the exterior and the suspension but you can't mess with the motor or performance. That would defeat the purpose of the Hybrid and wouldn't be effective anyway. Whatever performance you have is what you are stuck with but you can mod the suspension for a better tighter ride and make it look like you have somerthing under the hood. You can also add spinners and a Hood Scoop if it makes you feel better :D :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
87turbolook911 said:
Sure you can mod...just be careful not to mod in ways to kill your mpg. (ie heavy wheels and bigger tires)

Here's what I have done.... http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50175

Turns out that lowering the car made my mpg go up...I now get 50mpg consistenly with my mixed city and highway commute.

The car is a lot more fun through the twisties now...a lot less tire squeal.

Good luck!
Car looks great!



Why wouldnt' you want to mod a hybrid? If a suspension drop helps with gas mileage and handling; it seems worth it!

I just had a thaught that maybe things like intake, header, and exhaust would also help with gas mileage and performance when the engine is actually on. Plus, it would sound great everytime the motor "turned on" :vtec: . LOL.

Isn't that where the "modding" craze started; to mod something that you normally wouldnt' mod and see how well it performs. If I can increase the effeciancy of the motor or batteries....wouldn't that be worth it. For example, I've heard of some people in California modding their prius batteries (adding batteries) to increase mileage (as high as 90+MPG) and power.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like you can always improve on "stock".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Yes, you can mod a hybrid. To some extent. But the engine is a 1.3 liter hybrid-only version. Not the 1.8 liter normal version. Therefore, some bolt-ons simply do not fit.
Changing out wheels/tires can be done, although since almost anything other than the special (thin tread-width) standard hybrid tires will be wider, you'll lose MPG. Also, many larger rims (16, 17, 18, 19s) are heavier than the hybrid's pie-plate rims. And less aerodynamic. These factors will also reduce your MPG.
Freeing up the exhaust may help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,094 Posts
2gumby said:
Yes, you can mod a hybrid. To some extent. But the engine is a 1.3 liter hybrid-only version. Not the 1.8 liter normal version. Therefore, some bolt-ons simply do not fit.
Changing out wheels/tires can be done, although since almost anything other than the special (thin tread-width) standard hybrid tires will be wider, you'll lose MPG. Also, many larger rims (16, 17, 18, 19s) are heavier than the hybrid's pie-plate rims. And less aerodynamic. These factors will also reduce your MPG.
Freeing up the exhaust may help.
I doubt putting on another exhaust will do anything to a hybrid except make it louder. Those things are designed for efficiency not performance and any mods in the intake or exhaust will just throw the universe out of ballance and defeat the purpose of buying a hybrid in the first place.
And putting on larger rims and suspension will make a hybrid only look Ghetto big time. In my opinion leave that poor hybrid alone and get yourself an older inexpensive Sports car you can mod as you see fit where it actually makes sense and people wont think you are a moron for doing it. ;)
 

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
Joined
·
14,929 Posts
Buy some DUB's:biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
hybrids can have more power

I think modding a hybrid's intake and exhaust (past the cadylidics) is a good idea because hybrids usually run pretty rich to cut down on monoxide pollutions. but if you change the headers and downpipe then you usually lose the cadylidics witch can make your car run bad because of all the o2 sensor (3)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
adley said:
I think modding a hybrid's intake and exhaust (past the cadylidics) is a good idea because hybrids usually run pretty rich to cut down on monoxide pollutions. but if you change the headers and downpipe then you usually lose the cadylidics witch can make your car run bad because of all the o2 sensor (3)

They run rich? You wanna look into that statement??? Part of the AT-PZEV rating is the Advanced Lean-burn technology. The only thing that running rich would do is foul up your cats or release unburned hydrocarbons and waste gas. Total opposite.

I/H/E could interfere with the lean-burn unless the sensors and ECU can compensate for it, but more airflow while maintaining a steady A/F ratio would mean more gas... The trade-off that you're benefiting from would be that you might get a little more torque down low, which the CVT is not hesitant to shift you into when cruising.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,329 Posts
Guys, supply the OP with information he asked for if you can. If not, don't comment. He asked for some modding ideas, and wants your help.

I say you mod it on the interior and exterior, however performance isn't going to be a good idea. You definitely don't want to void a Hybrid warranty by adding a set of Race Headers, but that;s just me. There might be a company that has the part, but idk it. :thumb: GL with more info
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top