8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic LX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, this is my first post here so if Im doing something wrong tell me about it.

I look over the site about this but I didn't found nothing consistent on why should or shouldn't work.

I was reading some manuals and electric diagrams and the way that the shifter work could probably work welll on our civics, the transmission has the same solenoids and valves, same operations, the pins in the PCM match in both models, even the gears lever seems to work in the same way that the S, put it into D3, So if the PCM could be programmed or if there's no need for that, we can buy the paddles pin it in the PCM and enjoy the sequential gears..

If someone that really knows about it can help me with this I will try it, ask for the diagrams and system operations Im gonna awnser ASAP.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic LX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I did some tests on the pcm and the shifter.. It looks like I need to do more research but it worked when I gave the signal to the PCM to shift up from D3 on the shifter and 1st gear on the transmission, the 2nd gear indicator light blinks but the gear remains in first.. I believe that happened because the shifter .. I really needs someone to look at this with me.. if I could get this working would be some awesome for R18s autos

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic LX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
there's no crossed pins or wires, the paddle shifters are like attachments, like audio controls on the steering wheel.

Pins #16 & #17 are for the paddles.

Im gonna test this with 2 normally open button switches connected to steering wheel harness and see if I survive.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,217 Posts
Very interesting. When visiting South America, I did notice that some Civics had the paddle shifter. Let us know what your findings are!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Now don't quote me here but I believe here in Canada you can get the Acura CSX with paddle shifters. Saying that though I believe too they only came with a version of the K20 and not an R18.

Could be worth a look at the CSX wiring to see if their are any similarities.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic LX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now don't quote me here but I believe here in Canada you can get the Acura CSX with paddle shifters. Saying that though I believe too they only came with a version of the K20 and not an R18.

Could be worth a look at the CSX wiring to see if their are any similarities.
well in the manual said that's an R18 version with this too.. I already check the cable reel in the steering wheel and its different, bad luck.. but that's not the end of the road for this.. the signals that we need come from the gear shifter so we can do a steering wheel swap and re-wire that to the pcm.. Im working on that, reading the diagrams and matching everything.. that way we can use the same cable reel and probably the same steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
2,217 Posts
Sounds like an involved mod (not for the faint of heart). I'm assuming the paddle shifters will "bolt" right on, or as you imply, get the steering wheel that already comes with it. I can't find a detailed pic of one to make that assumption (that it can bolt right up to our steering wheels).

Keep us informed!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Sounds like an involved mod (not for the faint of heart). I'm assuming the paddle shifters will "bolt" right on, or as you imply, get the steering wheel that already comes with it. I can't find a detailed pic of one to make that assumption (that it can bolt right up to our steering wheels).

Keep us informed!
The paddle shifters use the same screws that hold the back steering wheel cover on. There's 2 on each side.

I modified my rear steering wheel cover so I could run the connectors to the connector that plugs into the clock spring.

I never looked into getting them to work as intended because my coupe was a 5spd. I used them to trigger the gate and garage door at my WA home.

The Fit and Insight have paddle shifters. Might be worth a look into the Fit schematics.

....missing my Civic

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic LX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Keep us informed!
yeah the steering wheel of the 09-11 civics will work with the paddles..

but I guees is more affordable if we custom fit some paddle shifters and use the same cable reel using cruise control pins ..

but the real deal is the pcm, if I send it the signal and responses like we want everything else will be easier..

Im waiting for the female terminals to attach the wires to the pcm and see (hopefully) how the magic works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wish I had the knowledge to help you with this. I am very interested to see how it progresses! Best of luck taking a crack at it!

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic LX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I had the knowledge to help you with this. I am very interested to see how it progresses! Best of luck taking a crack at it!
thanks man, I appreciate your interest in this! people paying attention to it helps too ?

·
Super Moderator
2,217 Posts
The paddle shifters use the same screws that hold the back steering wheel cover on. There's 2 on each side.

I modified my rear steering wheel cover so I could run the connectors to the connector that plugs into the clock spring.

I never looked into getting them to work as intended because my coupe was a 5spd. I used them to trigger the gate and garage door at my WA home.

The Fit and Insight have paddle shifters. Might be worth a look into the Fit schematics.

....missing my Civic
So you got the paddles installed. I remember you posted a pic a while ago if memory serves. Anyway, do you have a part number for this? It is very cool to see that you used them for another function.

yeah the steering wheel of the 09-11 civics will work with the paddles..

but I guees is more affordable if we custom fit some paddle shifters and use the same cable reel using cruise control pins ..

but the real deal is the pcm, if I send it the signal and responses like we want everything else will be easier..

Im waiting for the female terminals to attach the wires to the pcm and see (hopefully) how the magic works.
Very cool.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic LX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry for being lazy at this.. Im still trying to get de pcm pins but I can't.

anyways I started to play around with Arduino Uno and I wrote a code to make it work with the paddles and simulate the shifter signals to the pcm.. not complete sequiential but if it works I'll be able to shift between 1-2-D3-D4 up & down without leave the steering wheel..

also arduino uno its about $7 bucks so its a good module to start with..

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic LX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be trying yo get this done this next month if someone is interested on it and wanna help let me know! I have some pins from the junk yard (a lot of them) so I'll be trying to recreate the circuit of an Asian civic with paddle shifters and see if the ECU have the way to work like that.:giggle:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll be trying yo get this done this next month if someone is interested on it and wanna help let me know! I have some pins from the junk yard (a lot of them) so I'll be trying to recreate the circuit of an Asian civic with paddle shifters and see if the ECU have the way to work like that.:giggle:
Im interested brotha! Lmk bow if goes down!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts