8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a lot of debate on how and at what RPMs to best launch the car in a straight drag race. I've done some racing with friends, but few of them were very good drivers so I wouldn't even count it. I do, however, want to take my car to the track this weekend, and wanted to get a detailed explanation on how to get best times. I have a bone-stock FBP FG2, and would like to break into the 14s without wasting too many turns (the line at our Joliet track gets LOOOOOOONG). The consensus seems to be to turn VSA off, that seems logical. What's a good RPM at which to take off? 4k? 5k? Bring it up to that, and then just drop the clutch? With VSA off doesn't that just add up to a new set of tires and a terrible rubber burn without lateral motion? Does Power Shifting really take off time, or just kill the tranny? Should I take it almost up to the engine-kill point, or shift around the redline? What's the preferred tire pressure on the front and the rear with the all-season tires? I am more than happy to admit that I am a track n00b, but if someone could give me a DETAILED guide as to how to get a good time, I would really appreciate it. I see FA5s getting 14.7s stock, I'd like to get around there with the all-season tires.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
did u do a search? cuz theres more than a few threads on this. I am also a noob, but from my understanding, launch at like 3500 ( some people take it to the rev limit: 5500) and i was told to "mini slip" the clutch instead of just dumping it. And everyone says that powershifting makes a worlds difference. But shouldnt be done outside the track, since its not good for the car. i dunno, search it up and then post results when u hit the track. good luck.

edit: search for the correct psi for ur tires, i hear that also makes a huge difference. i dont know them off the top of my head tho.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Here is what I do:
1)Ebrake on
2)clutch down
3)1st gear
4)gas @ 80%
5)let the clutch up till the nose of the car goes up
6)hand on the ebrake eyes on the start light.
7)when green let down ebrake and floor gas (gotta be fast)
8)powershift all the way.

PS: of course VSA off.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
I have aftermarket tires so here's what I do.

Turn VSA and A/C off
Heat up the tires for 0.3 seconds
Pull up, and sit
Raise my rpm's to 4200
When the 3rd yellow light comes on get completely off the clutch
Tires spin very briefly, no wheel hop
0.016 reaction time :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
tonton said:
Here is what I do:
1)Ebrake on
2)clutch down
3)1st gear
4)gas @ 80%

I hope to god no ones doing that on a stock clutch :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you guys let the clutch completely out on the third yellow light, and let the burn-out take place prior to the green light?

·
Registered
35 Posts
tonton said:
Here is what I do:
1)Ebrake on
2)clutch down
3)1st gear
4)gas @ 80%

:hiding: poor clutch....ouch :surrender:

·
Registered
281 Posts
here is how i managed a 14.7 in the 1/4 with a stock setup and short shifter:
1. warm up if u want, not needed
2. when at the line, hold revs at 3500-3800
3. on green, completely let off clutch but hold gas at bout 50-60% (which is whe it shouldve been in the first plce to hold 3500-3800 rpm)
4. when u feel wheels catching at about 80-90% just gun it from there.

with normal shifting youll hit 14.9 and a virtually stock si. power shifting/quick shift will nab you that 14.7/14.8. guaranteed. my car still has a stock setup (no money to upgrade) and i still run 14.7 - 14.8 all day. temp/humidity pending. dont flutter stock clutch - very bad.

edit: dont forget to set front tires to 20 psi. i usually sit at 18 psi up front (traction) and 32 - 35 psi rear (least amount of drag).

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
i just got done talking with the techs at my dealership about this and one of my close friends is a head tech there and here is what he told me....

DO NOT drop the clutch when u launch we have a cable tranny and all it will do is cause wheel hop which ***** up the cable...

launch around 3.5

do not powershift no it doesnt make u go any faster...

this was all told to me after i was having problems with my 2nd gear grinding when shifting at redline.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
P1ng said:
i just got done talking with the techs at my dealership about this and one of my close friends is a head tech there and here is what he told me....

DO NOT drop the clutch when u launch we have a cable tranny and all it will do is cause wheel hop which ***** up the cable...

launch around 3.5

this was all told to me after i was having problems with my 2nd gear grinding when shifting at redline.

those techs are retards then.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
P1ng said:

launch around 3.5

So we have a cable tranny huh?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
P1ng said:

launch around 3.5

i can see you have no clue about launching so you shouldnt even put your .02 cents in here and keep you amature racing techniques to yourself.

1. you wont get wheel hop if your tire pressure is correct.
2. if your launching at 3.5 you have to pop the clutch and smash the gas or its going to take forever to get into i-vtec. and that means terrible 60ft.
3. its at a track not on the street so you have to launch high to get a good 60ft and to keep the rpm's up.
4. your a amature and you have to powershift like the op was writing to keep the rpms from dipping to low because of dbw.
5. you really need to pay more attention to your car and what happens to it and why. your 2nd gear is or was grinding because your pulling the shifter out of gear before the clutch was all the way in and you were trying to put it back into gear to soon or to late and you were not timing your shifts like you should and now your tranny is grinding.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
sorry im kinda venting but anyways check your tire pressure, if your getting wheel hop then raise your tire psi up but 5psi and on all seasons you should be running 30psi (i run 35psi) and in the rears when your at the track you want them up to around 40psi. launch of the 5500rpm limiter and your gonna have to learn how much of a clutch slip your car likes on the track to make it hook but once you do your gonna love it. powershift every gear and from 1-2 shift at 7800rpm (you dont need any higher rpms because the power just flatens out anyway) and shift 2-3 and 3-4 at around 8100rpm.
dont forget that you dont have to go through the burout box, just go around it and after the water just stop and do a little burn out to clear off the tires from debris and little peices of rubber from other peoples tires. good luck.
p.s. i have done a 14.2 with a 100% stock si so i know what im talking about

1 - 20 of 21 Posts