Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is their purpose exactly?
What is the effect on driving?
What are the upsides?
The downsides?
What is wrong with the factory ones?

Thanks I dont know much about transmission stuff, Im just looking at inexpensive mods.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it helped quite a bit, and most people who got them seemed to like them, but what about people who havent bought them? What I mean is I wonder if they only liked them because they spent the money and time putting them in and didnt want to admit otherwise.

Also if I get the cable bushings, should I also get the base bushings or is that not really necessary?

·
Registered
665 Posts
pretty sure they just keep your shift linkage in check. upside they should increase shift precision and gear engagement. downside could potentially be different/notchy shift feel during very fast shifts if your motor mounts arent also keeping your motor in check to the same degree. the stock bushings are designed to have some degree of play to them so they can allow the linkage to move if the motor is not in its native(or idle) position.

your shift knob is literally connected to your tranny by a crude set of rods and hinges. those rods are held in "line" with bushings. eventually after time, or hard shifting, the bushings can wear out.. but i think its pretty rare. ive never actually upgraded my shift bushings in any of my cars, but i would think they are just one of those "peace of mind" mods that dont improve the car as much as youd think. BUT i dunno for sure. try some :smile:

·
Registered
665 Posts
I wonder if they only liked them because they spent the money and time putting them in and didnt want to admit otherwise.

Also if I get the cable bushings, should I also get the base bushings or is that not really necessary?
honestly i think thats the biggest reason why people give some of the (bad) reviews they do on here sometimes lol. guilty conscience about money not-so-well spent. like the guys who run a CERTAIN KIND OF SHOCK that ive used in the past(not gonna say. *ahem* check my created threads! *ahem*) and still claim they are good when i know without a doubt that they arent. i know ride quality can be subjective and all but geez.. at some point crappy parts are crappy parts and we have to warn people to stay away.

imo i'd wager to say that the base bushings wouldnt be necessary. actually i wasnt even aware such a product existed lol. some companies will release anything these days tho. they know their loyal buyers will always eat it up

·
Registered
665 Posts
I was wondering the same thing because i really want to get the smoothest shift possible for my si. Guess i got to get something else for that then?
is it notchy? do you need smoother shifts? i would try a simple flush/refill of the gear oil first.. if youve grinded gears a lot theres bound to be some metal chips in the fluid that can get caught up during shifts. magnetic drain plug or not, i think our trannies have a good amount of brass in them that wont ever get stuck to it so it just floats around in the fluid. try that. if its still notchy then hell, give the shift bushing(s) a shot. ive actually never used one. ive always solved that problem with stiffer mounts (well that was never the intent, but smoother shifts always resulted)

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
It does come down to personal preference, but I replaced both my base & cable bushings. I also have a short shifter.

My shifter has no wiggle/play at all, and this is after almost 2 years of having all of this. My shifts are absolutely precise, not notchy.

BTW, I also got the 3rd gear TSB, and replaced the MTF with Amsoil.

I love the way mine shifts, its perfect! :woot:

·
Banned
13,587 Posts
If you look at them you will realize that it replaces the stock rubber bushings which move a lot to solid metal which don't move, I have had the full TWM kit for almost 2yrs now and I love it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Besides the fact that they are a sponsor, any reason to get the bushings from corsportusa? They have them on strut king for less $

CABLE BUSHINGS

corsport-29.00 shipped

strut king-22.50 shipped with our discount

BASE BUSHINGS

corsport-25.00 if purchased in conjunction with cable bushings

strut king-18.00 with our discount

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.