8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was in an unfamiliar area and needed to ship a package. I decided to punch in UPS in my "trusty" nav. Oh Sh*t what a mess. First on list I finally get is a ups michigan (I'm in So. Cal). I try a different catagory with similar results. I am forced to pull out the Iphone and I type in UPS and it instantly puts three red dots on the closest three UPS locations. Is there any trick to not letting the Nav take me on thousand mile romps to mail a package? Can you limit it's search to 100 mile radius or something? Or always sort by distance?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
when i first attempted my oem navi retro i booted it up and it showed my location as being in cali, im in georgia. i pulled it out, put my stock unit back in and sold it
ummm. . . most GPS systems will display at a default until it can pinpoint your location the first time or if its moved a significant distance without tracking (i.e. trailered somewhere)

and as for sending you out of state, it may be that those are the only stores programmed into the DVD, theyre pretty limited in that way, and like it was said above, Aftermarket is the best way to go

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
and people are still dead set on installing the factory units for some reason. Even aftermarket do that at times, but the usually have a search area so getting one thousands of miles away isnt likely. also, if your gps has no signal you will have problems. if it doesnt connect to the sat then your unit will just be working off of speed sense and you will have nothing but problems.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I guess I'm Glad it's not just me. I didn't want the Navi when I got the car, it's just the only TW one had it. I'm kinda stuck without as it's pretty hard to justify replacing it. I pretty muck stick to iPhone for navi.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Even aftermarket do that at times
Yup. Depends on how you use a particular category. I will punch in "Restaurants: Japanese" in my Maestro 4350, and it starts listing places 80 miles away (though there are joints 3 miles away) but if I use a broader category, just "Restaurants", my GPS brings up local listings, from lesser distance up. IMHO, the entire system - in the consumer form and shape (maybe military GPS they show in the movies is really precise LOL) is not perfectly developed yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,609 Posts
The other day I was in an unfamiliar area and needed to ship a package. I decided to punch in UPS in my "trusty" nav. Oh Sh*t what a mess. First on list I finally get is a ups michigan (I'm in So. Cal). I try a different catagory with similar results. I am forced to pull out the Iphone and I type in UPS and it instantly puts three red dots on the closest three UPS locations. Is there any trick to not letting the Nav take me on thousand mile romps to mail a package? Can you limit it's search to 100 mile radius or something? Or always sort by distance?
Can't remember which screen it is, but the country is divided up in the NAVI DVD, make sure the area (state) where you are at is highlighted. This is in the manual BTW

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
my blackbird makes you select a state to search and then by city or by distance. I dont usually have is suggest places really far, but that damn thing loves sending me the longest way known to man to get to places though. I really love eclipse for their nav. They are always on point and have lots of options for searching.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.