8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying I am not an expert on headers. I know how a header works and why it will work more efficient than my stock exhaust manifold on my 08 fg2 and thats about it. Anyway I already read through the sticky about all the headers like ten times and I have narrowed down my choices to a couple. Im really not looking for anything too lavish I just want a header to efficiently run cobb stage 2 maps. Im looking for something I can bolt-on install that wont be a complete pain in the ass and won't mess with my cat converter or catback exhaust. Right now im between the DCsports header, the CT shorty header, or the strup header. Any advice would be great.

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
Let me start off by saying I am not an expert on headers. I know how a header works and why it will work more efficient than my stock exhaust manifold on my 08 fg2 and thats about it. Anyway I already read through the sticky about all the headers like ten times and I have narrowed down my choices to a couple. Im really not looking for anything too lavish I just want a header to efficiently run cobb stage 2 maps. Im looking for something I can bolt-on install that wont be a complete pain in the ass and won't mess with my cat converter or catback exhaust. Right now im between the DCsports header, the CT shorty header, or the strup header. Any advice would be great.
Well the DC and Strup will remove your cat all together. The CT shorty will work in conjunction with your stock cat or say a RT HFC. I would honestly stay away from a DC or Strup as many people have had trouble with the flex pipes leaking. If you can save up some extra cash you could go with the $575 Go power header or if you can save some more cash you could go with something like the S2 header.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
problem is i need a cat converter to pass an e-check in this county which you have to get every other year so most likely i will go with the shorty, thanks man

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like im gonna be running the CTE shorty header. Unless im missing something they don't give as much details as they should about a 500$ product except that the tig welds are nice, but it seems legit. So besides removing the exhaust manifold which i have been hearing can be hard as hell doing it at home with a regular car jack it should be a pretty easy installation huh? Its not that I dont wanna take my time on my car and do it right its just i never seem to have that much time thats why I dont really want to get into a big project.

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
Looks like im gonna be running the CTE shorty header. Unless im missing something they don't give as much details as they should about a 500$ product except that the tig welds are nice, but it seems legit. So besides removing the exhaust manifold which i have been hearing can be hard as hell doing it at home with a regular car jack it should be a pretty easy installation huh? Its not that I dont wanna take my time on my car and do it right its just i never seem to have that much time thats why I dont really want to get into a big project.
Well I've done 2 header installs on my car with just jacks and a floor jack. The tricky part is getting the stock shorty header out. You will probably see minimal gains with the CTE shorty but that is one of your only options unless you maybe get a RH with a HFC such as a Vibrant. The Vibrant RH with the HFC is only OBD1 compliant so I don't know if it would pass the visual inspection in your state. There is also the option of getting a RH and having a OBD2 compliant HFC welded in place of the flex pipe. You would have to get stiffer engine mounts to compensate for the flex pipe though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The CTE shorty should suffice, Im not expecting really to see major power gains or anything but i just received my accessport and to run any stage 2 map you need a header im guessing because the stock is too restrictive or something. I just started getting interested in modding cars since i have the si now and not the lx so forgive me if my automotive anatomy isn't correct or even close but will i be throwing a CEL because of the o2 sensor with a shorty?

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
The CTE shorty should suffice, Im not expecting really to see major power gains or anything but i just received my accessport and to run any stage 2 map you need a header im guessing because the stock is too restrictive or something. I just started getting interested in modding cars since i have the si now and not the lx so forgive me if my automotive anatomy isn't correct or even close but will i be throwing a CEL because of the o2 sensor with a shorty?
No CEL with the stock cat. The only real time you would have to be concerned about a CEL would be if you were running a HFC or no CAT at all. In that case you could use a defouler.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
cool i love this site, straight to the point answers within minutes, thanks again dude, now i gotta get to sleep im on east coast time. :sleep:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts