8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Can someone give me their thoughts regarding the problem that i have.

I have brought my car to a local autoshop to have my clutch changed, when the job was done they informed me that my car was not starting. So they scanned my car and identified some codes, first they checked the vct sensor which they said has broken off and needs to be changed. So i agreed. After they have fixed it the car was still not starting so they said they have to open the valve cover to check. When they have opened it they said my timing chain was loose and needs to be replaced. My question is i brought my car there running with just clutch issue then all of a sudden some other problems came in. Is it possible that the timing chain will be affected when they changed the clutch. They were saying i had low oil thats why that happened. Let's say that is true would it immediately give out while parked in their garage.

Please share me your thougts on this. Thank you!

·
Registered
2008 Si Coupe k24a2 swapped
66 Posts
Hi everyone,

Can someone give me their thoughts regarding the problem that i have.

I have brought my car to a local autoshop to have my clutch changed, when the job was done they informed me that my car was not starting. So they scanned my car and identified some codes, first they checked the vct sensor which they said has broken off and needs to be changed. So i agreed. After they have fixed it the car was still not starting so they said they have to open the valve cover to check. When they have opened it they said my timing chain was loose and needs to be replaced. My question is i brought my car there running with just clutch issue then all of a sudden some other problems came in. Is it possible that the timing chain will be affected when they changed the clutch. They were saying i had low oil thats why that happened. Let's say that is true would it immediately give out while parked in their garage.

Please share me your thougts on this. Thank you!
If it was working b4 u dropped it off they did something to ur car...that’s just me

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not sure if you have the r18 or K20 but the timing chain tensioner is a known failure point that can suddenly give up. It running low can cause that because the tensioner uses oil pressure to help tension the chain. During startup the tensioner see the most abuse and that is when it fails. Running car the night before but then wont start the next morning. Sadly if it does go then there is a chance that some valves have kissed some pistons.

To mess up the car this bad just doing a clutch job would be quite the feat. The clutch is on the other side of the motor. I highly doubt they did something and bet it was just bad timing. But I would check the odometer and see if they put a bunch of miles on it just in case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do they have the right to charge me the full price for the job done? Since i brought it there running well, isnt it that they should have checked other things like oil that could have prevented it whilst it was in their garage? The first quote was around 900+ for the clutch since i supplied the parts, then it came up to 4k+ because of the timing chain problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if you have the r18 or K20 but the timing chain tensioner is a known failure point that can suddenly give up. It running low can cause that because the tensioner uses oil pressure to help tension the chain. During startup the tensioner see the most abuse and that is when it fails. Running car the night before but then wont start the next morning. Sadly if it does go then there is a chance that some valves have kissed some pistons.

To mess up the car this bad just doing a clutch job would be quite the feat. The clutch is on the other side of the motor. I highly doubt they did something and bet it was just bad timing. But I would check the odometer and see if they put a bunch of miles on it just in case.
I have the k20

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do they have the right to charge me the full price for the job done? Since i brought it there running well, isnt it that they should have checked other things like oil that could have prevented it whilst it was in their garage? The first quote was around 900+ for the clutch since i supplied the parts, then it came up to 4k+ because of the timing chain problem.
Sadly, you do owe them for the clutch job. Ya the car doesn't run but I really don't think that its their fault. The rest of it though. Unless they have already replaced parts then you don't owe them. You might need to pay for diagnostics as they did pull the valve cover to see what it going. But that is easy to do so shouldn't be much.

Looking at the damage id bet the motor is toast. The only reason the chain would be that loose is if the tensioner failed. Im not sure about that oil control valve though. As far as I can tell there is no way for anything to actually hit a break it so im not sure how that happened. To find out of the motor if the motor is usable it will likely need the head pulled to check the valves and pistons for impacts. When timing breaks more often than not it junks the motor.

Honestly, if you really want to keep the car, the easiest solution is find a used motor and swap it in, or just junk the car and get a new one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts