8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

cam decision help

9K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  da is best 
#1 ·
Ok, so this coming tax season, i will be buying cams. But, do not know which set to go with. I want something good for daily driving and occasional autocross and hopefully track use.

The 3 cams i have broken it down to are:
- Skunk2 Stage 2 Tuner cams
- Brian Crower Stage 2 BC0042-2
- Kelford 179-B
- Also most likely going to use Supertech valves and retainers.

I know there are better cams, but I do not want break bank and i have read these 3 have good reviews.

Any more info or suggestions will be appreciated.

#2 ·
What other mods do you have?
I spoke with 4piston on which cams they would suggest for stock port k24a2 and they said Kelford B's are really good but there may be quality issues. Skunk2 for as much hate as they get do make good products.

I would contact each manufacturer or a tuner that's near you that you trust and get their opinion based on your mods.

#4 ·
Sorry, i should have added my current mods:
- Skunk2 cold air intake
- Go Power header
- Skunk2 70mm exhaust (but will be upgrading to Full Face 76mm soon)
- Flashpro

Parts that are waiting to be installed:
- j35 throttle body
- RRC IM
- RDX 410 injectors
- upgraded fuel rail

#5 ·
- Skunk2 Stage 2 Tuner cams
- Brian Crower Stage 2 BC0042-2
- Kelford 179-B
- Also most likely going to use Supertech valves and retainers.
Some good selections man
IMO, go w/ Kelford or S2 since they're reputable & reliable
For JDM status, Jun's are good, too
JUN High Lift Camshaft - Type 0 Intake Honda K20A K24A - RHDJapan
JUN High Lift Camshaft - Type 0 Exhaust Honda K20A K24A - RHDJapan

& yes, Supertech are awesome when it comes to springs & retainers
Supertech – HPTautosport

#8 · (Edited)
Some good selections man
IMO, go w/ Kelford or S2 since they're reputable & reliable
For JDM status, Jun's are good, too
JUN High Lift Camshaft - Type 0 Intake Honda K20A K24A - RHDJapan
JUN High Lift Camshaft - Type 0 Exhaust Honda K20A K24A - RHDJapan
Worst advice ever.

I'd say go Prayoonto. They're basically like IPS K2's. Very nicely priced IMO.
I've never heard that comparison (in fact I haven't seen a dyno of Prayoonto cams on a 2.0 liter motor). Can you link some dyno graphs to back that up?

EDIT: found it
Club RSX Message Board - View Single Post - Stage 2 Cam comparison

#23 ·
My vote is skunk2, not because i have their cams right now but they are known to make power consistently.

Brian Crower, they make power but their cams are mostly for midrange as ive seen threads on them on clubrsx. What ppl have said that ran them is that they sacrifice peak hp gains in favor for midrange gains.

Member W00t692 has them and they made great power but the actual cams have problems with pitting, lobe scoring and breaking. What ive read on K20a.org is that Kelford will not own up to their product failing so you are stuck with a damaged or broken cam using their cams, so i would shy away from it and not risk it if it were me..

Prayoonto are a good alternative imo. I would use them if i didnt get my skunk2 cams dirt cheap lol.

#30 ·
Back on Topic

Now that everyone is done talking. Skunk2 Tuner cams are great cams for DD and possible track and have a lot of room to upgrade. These cams packed with a RBC and bigger injectors is one hell of a beginner NA setup. I recommend Skunk2 cams to anyone and I know tuners prefer them as well.

#34 ·
I'd really like to know more about the Skunk2 cams, Prayoonto's and Cartel 2.2s i'd like to see a dyno graph of all 3 together personally. So then you can see on each how they differ, when the power comes in. I know most cams shine on the upper end, but how about the lower-mid range?? like for DD? thats what my cams would see a bit of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.