8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could possibly make a short ram / cold air intake for the EX models.. The CAI can be shortened to a short ram for those who want to reduce it when its raining out.

The only problem with the intake, its not 1 or 2 peices of pipe bended, it has 3 sections for the short ram and 5 sections for the CAI.. each section is held by a silicone coupling (red or blue). At the end it'll have a K&N filter.

Would anyone be interested in this for me to buy the parts and test fit it so you guys can kind of put together your own intake systems?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when is the release date?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
plus if I get mine together.. it can be a short ram or cai - just a quick disconnect at one of the pipes.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
holy cow.. i can make my own cai for around 150-175 - that'll perform the same probably

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm going to order it and test it out once I get paid again..

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah.. i'm just wondering if others would be interested as this will be a no-name intake compared to an AEM or Injen

·
Registered
380 Posts
if there is proven gains like a dyno chart i dont have any problems but i dont wanna spend money just for lights and sound :p i want performance gains

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's true.. i know when i had my eclipse... a lot of shops would sell parts that out performed HKS, Greddy, AEM, Apex'i, etc..

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the only problem i see having is making a mount for the sensor since its a thin, but long rectangular shape. I could cut a rectangular hole out.. but mounting it would be difficult since I don't have any idea on what to use.

something like []

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
unplugged said:
that's true.. i know when i had my eclipse... a lot of shops would sell parts that out performed HKS, Greddy, AEM, Apex'i, etc..
yeah, but was it filtering as much as those brands? I would guess no

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kurt said:
yeah, but was it filtering as much as those brands? I would guess no
i'm not just talking about intakes, i'm talking about intercoolers, various piping, ignition and fuel setups, etc..

The reason is, AEM, HKS, Greddy, etc tunes for stock setups - when you go to a shop.. everything they sell is for racing

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went ahead and ordered 2 feet of polished aluminum piping. I'm going to first make a short ram intake for the civic. The next project will be a Cold Air Intake. It'll be a 2 peice system most likely, so you can go back and forth from short ram or cold air.

I found the fittings to connect the vacumn hoses.. they are pretty expensive. It doesn't require welding, but I might decide to just weld it. The sensor i'm still debating on how to mount it. It might be a hard plastic mount, rubber mount, or somehow find a rectangular steel block that's hollow inside.

First thing is shaping the pipe with the bends.

Total Cost of Project so far:
$40.00 - 24inch polished aluminum pipe

·
Registered
380 Posts
lol so far cheap :p

you need to make some dyno run with stock and then your cai and short ram to see the improvements if they are big ill need one :p

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its definitely going to run over 150 once I add on the filter, couplers, hose clamps, etc.

it's only expensive because its Polished too.. I cant get it in non-polished..or at least i can't find anyone selling it like that. But AEM has red anodized ones for example running 200 for the RSX short ram.. I'm sure i'll beat it and ship it in Polish whereas AEM is a few bucks more for the polished version.. or Injen's.

Gains are definitely going to be at least 5-8whp more for short ram and maybe 10-12whp for the CAI. Did you realize how restrictive the stock intake is? OMG! The piping is over 4 feet in length after measuring it. There's a second air box under the battery by the wheel well that's restrictive.

The nice thing about the kits I plan on putting out, is you can customize it :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts