8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the colder seasons quickly approaching and the dread of the snow fall to come, I am dreading the process of switching my Injen CAI back to my factory intake to avoid any kind of possible hydrolock from the snow/water. So I decided to look online for an alternative and saw on wikipedia that most CAI's could be converted to a SRI to avoid hydrolock. Has anyone out there attempted something like this? (not necessarily on an Injen, though that would help)

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
I'm assuming your profile information is up to date and you have an R18. Injen claims their CAI for the R18 can be converted to an SRI by removing the lower tube. It still looks like a tight fit and the filter is still in an awkward position right in front of the radiator fans. I ran my CAI through Canada's winter without any problems. The likely hood of you hydrolocking is pretty slim. The filter is a pretty enclosed space to begin with. As long as you don't floor the throttle while having your filter submerged in slush, then it should be fine.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
SIg said:
lol...how about without chopping?
I dont think thats possible being the fact that the CAI is one piece and only designed to go down into fender. So i suggest buying a SRI and swap it out.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
hopefully you can follow what i am saying. i have never dont this but running this through my head it seems like it would work. halfway down your cai cut it inhalf. now install a bypass valve. when you want a cai aim the top of the intake toward the original spot. when you want a sri turn the inake pipe toward the cabin and put the filter on. that is explaining things as best as possible. basically swiviling the intake pipe to look like a sri and disconnecting the rest of the pipe.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
He has an R18 and the CAI has two tubes, a lower and upper tube. Like I said, I believe it is possible to eliminate the lower tube and turn it to a SRI. I don't recommend it though.

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
I have the Fujia CAI without the 2nd part of the tube installed. Doing just fine, drove through several heavy rains. I think I'll be ok for the winter. I dont plan on having a heavy foot this winter anyway.

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
I drove through like 2 hurricans with my injen cai and nothing happened. And im talking about HEAVY rain, where my car was hydroplanning across the highway, it was hard as crap to drive in that I couldnt see a thing. I wouldnt worry about it, unless you plan on taking your car for a submarine ride theres nothing you should worry about with hydrolocking

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
I had the injen cai before and now I have the fujita sri and I didn't notice any difference in power. I had the stock one on in between though, so it may have thrown me off. Idk. I like the sound of the fujita better though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts