8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob here but i do understand CAI and i have a saab92x as well
I dont have a CAI on my civic nor 92x but i have a fairly large TMIC on the 92x and cooled with auto sprayer.

I see a lot of CAI available for the civics and other car. Mostly made of aluminium or stainless tubing in the engine bay. The temps in the engine bay for an NA car is probably 180deg, significantly higher than the ambient temp.

My question
Why would one use a CAI that is ingesting hot air from the engine bay and then use a conductive pipe (metal) to channel the hot air into the engine and call it CAI ? The pipe will certainly be hot (same temp as the bay) and will act as a interheater for the already hot air goin through.

I will be placing a TC post the MAF and just do a bunch of data logs (stock) and then place this home brew device pre filter and do more logs to see f it makes a difference in air temp. If i can achieve a 5 deg drop then ill post it online. I am not trying to cause a havoc here but just an observation ive seen

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes my mistake
SR = hot air from engine bay
CAI = ambient air heated by metal pipes in engine bay

·
Registered
302 Posts
What would you propose it be made of? I am sure it has to do with costs. I've seen carbon fiber ones, but yeah that is a lot of money.

I

·
0 Posts
I know I can go out after running my car for hours in the 100+ degree Georgia heat, pop the hood and grab my CAI and its deff, not 180 degrees. I dont know where you're getting the idea that the CAI pipes gets hot from.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok maybe not 180 but mighty hot
maybe my turbo car is 180 deg underhood temps I know my IR thermometer is maxed out at 185F on my 92x

Ill data log and post the results when i get a chance to work on this civic later
heres my other toy
http://mingtai.us/ixiz/9-2x/
and my stuff i make
www.ixizconcept.com

you will see some stuff for the 8th gen civic not too long

The idea of a better intake is
1. not to increase the IAT or minimal
2. laminar / smooth flow
3. filters the particles without hindering flow too much

·
Registered
838 Posts
That is one nice Subaru... (ahem) Saab :dancing:

You shouldn't have to worry about a CAI with your Saab. Althought, the colder the air you are able to introduce to the turbo, the less the top mount has to exchange.

I believe one of the best material to make intake out of is silicone (Samco), or that funky plastic composite that Iceman and K&N makes their out of. They have low conductivity, and is super light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts