8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

Im looking to buy a used civic SI Sedan and and found a nice one at a great price but it was in an accident and fixed up by the insurance compagny and now this used car dealership is selling it. It's an 08 with 29500kms on it.

have you guys ever bought a fixed up car, is it just a bad idea?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
price? plus your question is so vague it is unanswerable. It depends on how much damage, how well the repair was done, how the car drives afterwards, and the price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he is asking 17000$. If i buy i would get it for less for sure. Repair wize the car looks really good, could not tell it was in an accident. Did not get to drive it yet. Will take it for a test drive this weekend. As far as how bad the damage was i dont have all the details on that, the dealer both it fix up.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Drive it first, if the car stays in line, straight and solid, maybe the damage was only a ''beauty'' thing. If you feel pulled to one side, then the damage was bad. So drive it first, feel the car and listen to any kind of weird sounds. Drive it slow and fast, use the whole car, then make a choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i guess I will take it for a good test drive ;) Any problems I should be looking out for with the 08?

·
Registered
65 Posts
i agree with what the other guy said.....drive it and feel the car....i bought 07 civic 2dr last year....it had 29k mi in it...i got it for $15,000 from $18,000...i bought it in the same dealership i work at and i know how to drive them to the corner ;D

well i got my $1000 discount on that so i guess i just brought it down by $3000

·
Registered
954 Posts
find a knowledgable mechanic and have them check it out *before you buy*. make sure the body doesn't turn to uncooked pizza dough as soon as you drive it off the lot.

·
Registered
175 Posts
he is asking 17000$. If i buy i would get it for less for sure. Repair wize the car looks really good, could not tell it was in an accident. Did not get to drive it yet. Will take it for a test drive this weekend. As far as how bad the damage was i dont have all the details on that, the dealer both it fix up.
FYI, I recently bought an 07 with ~30,000kms for around the same price (~20k on the road), and it's accident free. So I'd definitely reccommend getting details on the damage and a much better price!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
if it's been repaired properly i wouldn't worry about it. i bought my si wrecked off a salvage auction; no accident-related issues so far after 35k miles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
if it's been repaired properly i wouldn't worry about it. i bought my si wrecked off a salvage auction; no accident-related issues so far after 35k miles.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it and how many miles were on the OD?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Get the VIN number on the car and check CARFAX. CARFAX can supply information about the damage, the accident and the repairs. Good Luck

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
What kind of "used car dealership"? The one attached to the bigger new car dealerships? ...or the buy here pay here with worn out faded flags flying everywhere kind?

Either way, as suggested, get a mechanic to look at it first. Also CarFax and the actual statement on paper from the said insurance company. If you're saying the dealer isn't saying exactly what happened and or what was needed to be fixed exactly, that right there throws up all kinds of red flags.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Get the Carfax,any reputable dealer will show it to you.If they won't that should tell you alot.Be aware that not all accidents show up on a Carfax only those reported to Police or Insurance companies.Take it get inspected by a reputable shop.Your local Honda dealer should do it for around $100,they'll do the same inspection they do for Honda Certified Vehicles.

If It has a Salvage Title,Honda will not honor the warranty.In most states the title will say salvage on it or title will start with the letter S.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got to talk with the dealer. He says it was salvage. The damage was not that bad. The insurance compagny fix it up but the owner did not want it back for some reason so the insurance compagny sold it.. does this sound weird?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Salvage title generally cuts the value close to half. I work for a loan company and we wont do loans on a salvage titled vehicle.
Good Luck
Nate

·
Registered
954 Posts
Get the Carfax,any reputable dealer will show it to you.If they won't that should tell you alot.Be aware that not all accidents show up on a Carfax only those reported to Police or Insurance companies.....
My VeeDub was totalled. Got the payment from their insurance company, I had a police report saying > $1000 damage, my insurance tagged it as in an accident (as soon as I made the phone call btw). But 3 months later, carfax still had a clean record for it. Not sure how often these guys get updated but caveat emptor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts