8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Buying an Si in 2018

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Xenaltiar 
#1 · (Edited)
I've owned a 07 R18 for 10 years and have just sold it. I've always loved the body shape of these cars and have always wanted to upgrade to the si model. The paint on my r18 was rough and sold it saving some of my cash. Right now I'm looking for a low mileage 09-11 sedan but these cars are becoming rare to find in white and silver. Right now I'm looking at a 2008 Taffeta White Sedan with the HFP kit, the car has 210,000km (120k miles). Is it safe to buy this? Assuming proper maintenance, A high revving motor like the k20z3 and all? Asking price reflects the mileage only asking $4500 Probably bargain down to 3600 or so. I have the funds to get a 2012+ but don't like the engine in those, I also don't like the styling of civics beyond 2011. Would appreciate any opinions on this subject: buying an 8th gen in 2018

#3 ·
I like the styling of the 9th gen but also didn't like the K24Z7 in the 9th gen so I went with a 2011 FA5. Bought the car 2 years ago with 47,XXX. I've put about 12-15K into her already. Getting a full tune this week now that all my bolt ons are on the car.

#6 ·
I was in a similar place this winter. i sold my fg2 and wanted a 4 door. lots of crappy cars out there but I did find some in good condition. However these were super expensive. In the end if ended up with an 09 taffy csx type-s with 78km.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while I'd look for 100-150km. Many parts start to wear out over 200k. I bought my fg2 new in 07 and put 260k over that time and was starting have problems.

with used i/h/e the si is cheap and super fun, you will love it

#8 ·
Not the person being asked, but I also found the k24 lacking. I just know I got out of each car and was left with a sort of "is that all?" feeling, unlike the first 20ish times wringing out the k20. I think it just lacks the drama.

For reference I drove the rsx-s, 2012 si, first gen tsx, and my si in that order.

#9 · (Edited)
What I noticed trying to buy a 09-11 fa5 is that a lot are hit or miss, you really need to go see the cars and take them for test drives. Just be patient and you'll find the perfect one, there are tons out there.

-clear coat failures on a lot of them (honda recall for 06-11 darker metallic colors) not a lot of people took care of the paint ie. regular waxing or sun protection.
-rubber moldings rotted (windows, roof, windshield)
-black door pillar clear peeling
-black interior faded to grey if there was no tint or if the tint was cheap
-hard to find stock ones, I noticed a lot have been parted out and stock stuff put back on
-grinds in the transmission (I know there was an issue with CMC)

#14 · (Edited)
Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin
I've owned a 07 R18 for 10 years and have just sold it. I've always loved the body shape of these cars and have always wanted to upgrade to the si model. The paint on my r18 was rough and sold it saving some of my cash. Right now I'm looking for a low mileage 09-11 sedan but these cars are becoming rare to find in white and silver. Right now I'm looking at a 2008 Taffeta White Sedan with the HFP kit, the car has 210,000km (120k miles). Is it safe to buy this? Assuming proper maintenance, A high revving motor like the k20z3 and all? Asking price reflects the mileage only asking $4500 Probably bargain down to 3600 or so. I have the funds to get a 2012+ but don't like the engine in those, I also don't like the styling of civics beyond 2011. Would appreciate any opinions on this subject: buying an 8th gen in 2018
the hardest part for me was finding a car that was never modified.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.