8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for an 8th gen sedan with A/T. For the price range I'm after, there are various 2009-2011 offerings from local dealers with anywhere from 40-65k miles. However, one interesting classified I came across lists a single-owner 2008 LX sedan used very lightly by a senior citizen. The mileage is a rather shocking 6900, having been purchased in mid-2008. The price is slightly lower than the aforementioned dealer offerings.

Needless to say, it mainly comes down to the condition of the individual vehicle, and I will have the low-mileage classified checked by a mechanic if I decide to pursue it. However, all else being equal, would you favor a four-year-old car with practically no miles or a two-year-old car with moderate mileage? FWIW, my yearly mileage tends to be above-average (20k?), much of it on the highway.

My only worry really is any possible effects of prolonged disuse. I imagine the tires will need replacing, for one, but is a vehicle averaging only 1500 mi/yr for four years at elevated risk for certain mechanical issues as well?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Here's my take on it. The younger car with higher mileage racked up those miles fast, it was on the highway more, hopefully less starting and stopping, trans wear, etc.

The older car with lower mileage did a lot of short trip driving, more startups, and more frequent short trips never letting the trans and engine get up to proper temp.

I'd pick the higher mileage one, but either way, I don't see it being too big of an issue with such new cars.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The older car with lower mileage did a lot of short trip driving, more startups, and more frequent short trips never letting the trans and engine get up to proper temp.
You don't know that for a fact. Car could have simply not been driven that often.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My father was in a similar situation a number of years ago when he bought an old DX off of an elderly lady for something like $100. Only work that needed to be done on it was some body work and lubing, cleaning of all the moving goodies. Ran like a charm since the original owner essentially drove it to the grocery store every once and a while.

In your case depends on how the car was driven. I would favour looking at the older less KM car, but a mechanical inspection is really the only way to tell.

The only other thing that would affect my decision is if the year difference for the car matters (ie trim, accessories incld, etc). Just my .02

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
You don't know that for a fact. Car could have simply not been driven that often.
Very true, not sure why I left that out.

That's a drawback of used cars though, only the previous owner knows it's true history..

I have purchased a few low mileage used cars (including my Si). I can guess all day how it was actually driven, but in the end, I have no idea :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
i'd take the car with lesser mileage.. it's not so low to the point where it was never driven. Just do your due diligence on the car.

FWIW I bought my 2005 S2000 with 16k miles on it in 2010.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would do the one with low miles. 06-08 lx civics are not very different from the 09-11. And the whole engine block cracking thing stated above... Well you can say don't get an Si because of 3rd gear. Every car is different. If the price is low enough I would def jump on that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would personally avoid the 06-08 models in order to stay from possible cracked engine blocks.
I have 220,000 km's (137,000 miles) on my 06 dx-g and have had no problems with my block at all .Actually, I have had no problems with the car at all. Most expensive repair was a wheel bearing at 100 bucks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have 220,000 km's (137,000 miles) on my 06 dx-g and have had no problems with my block at all .Actually, I have had no problems with the car at all. Most expensive repair was a wheel bearing at 100 bucks.
same here. i got my 2008 coupe on a internet specal form the dealer. the engine block cracked at 84K miles in 2010 and the owner didnt want to pay for it. so the dealer put in a crate engine and resold it....to me :D it's a late model engine so the cracking issue is fixed. car now has 107K on it and havent had any issues at all. (even got free maintance till 110K)

incase your wondering.... i paid, after tax and fees, just under $11K for it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
honestly its not that old i had a ek hatch with a **** load of miles and ran great sold it and upgraded to my Si. its all how the owner treats the car. if they abuse it good luck but if not that's great. just take your time and get what u want

·
Registered
128 Posts
When buying a used car, you should go take it to an mechanic to make sure everything is okay. Buying a used car always need caution

·
Registered
571 Posts
2006-2008 Civics have rear tire camber issues where the tires wear out faster than normal. The camber issues were fixed for the 2009 Civic. Just do a search on this forum about this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I really lucked out and got an 07 EX Coupe with only 15,000 miles from CarMax in Winston Salem North Carolina. $15 large. Not a bad deal. I recommend CarMax. The Civic is my second car the first was an Impreza. The Impreza has the r18 beat in the torque department. That is the only thing I miss about it. Lousy gas mileage. 165lbs torque.

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
I'll take the one with less mileage because the value of 8th gen Civics is more dependant on mileage than age.

These cars are solid though. As long as you get the maintenance history with either car, they are probably both fine.

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
Wasn't there a huge TSB about the R18 engine blocks cracking?

I know I've seen several threads on the matter on this forum.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts